Re: Numerals (was: Atkinson and Out-of-Africa ... Again)

  • Thrasher, Allen
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2011
      This announcement recalls to me a suggestion I have made at various times to anthropologists, that they record methods of calculation (mental, with tokens, or whatever) used by non-literate people before they disappear with universal basic literacy and written numeracy. Also, how these methods are taught to children and youth.

      Or maybe this has been done abundantly and I just haven't come across it. The books I've seen have been on counting, not on calculation.

      Allen

      Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D.
      Senior Reference Librarian and Team Coordinator
      South Asia Team
      Asian Division
      Library of Congress
      Washington, DC 20540-4810
      USA
      tel. 202-707-3732
      fax 202-707-1724
      The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress.