Re: [Indo-Eurasia] Simulating everything

  • Valerie J Roebuck
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009
      But I wouldn't include the menopause in this list. The fact that it
      has lasted in our species is clear proof of the evolutionary
      advantage to the community provided by women who are past
      childbearing age.

      Valerie J Roebuck

      At 12:43 pm +1100 1/3/09, Bruce Duffy wrote:
      >Dear Heleanor, be careful to avoid the thunderbolts for Yahweh, the
      >god of the leading proponents of Intelligent Design, is said to be a
      >jealous and vengeful god. I had also better be careful as I curse peas
      >that roll off the fork and and oranges that roll off the table.
      >
      >Bruce
      >
      >On 27/02/2009, at 12:06 PM, Heleanor Feltham wrote:
      >
      >> I have a fundamental problem with 'intelligent design' when I
      >> contemplate such things as the inefficiency of the human backbone,
      >> menopause, teenage hormones, cancer, blowflies and parasites,
      >> volcanoes, tsunamis and a host of other naturally occurring nasties
      > > which afflict the planet. More like blood stupid design.
    • Heleanor Feltham
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009
        [Mod. note. In our weekend menopausal subthread, which began with doubts
        about the intelligence of whatever is behind Intelligent Design. :^) - SF.]

        Been there, done that yet Valerie? Couldn't agree more with the value of post-childbearing women, let's celebrate our hag-power as we should, but the process of arriving at that state - emotional imbalance, hot flushes, sleep deprivation and all the rest - leaves a great deal to be desired.

        Heleanor
      • jkirk
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009
          Re: evolutionary advantages/ disadvantages

          Just recently found an article that discussed the prevalence of
          menstruation suppression used by women of various social classes
          (but especially by élites) in South America, a practice based on
          regularly taking certain hormones, either by pill or per
          injection, often getting the treatments from free clinics. I'd
          guess they are certainly risking their lives by doing this,
          either for convenience and/or as a way to avoid pregnancy. (It's
          more complicated apparently than just taking a birth control
          pill.) Sorry, I didn't save a link for the article and no time to
          search it out now.

          Best, Joanna

          [Mod. note. In our weekend menopausal subthread, which began with
          doubts about the intelligence of whatever is behind Intelligent Design.
          :^) - SF.]

          Been there, done that yet Valerie? Couldn't agree more with the
          value of post-childbearing women, let's celebrate our hag-power
          as we should, but the process of arriving at that state -
          emotional imbalance, hot flushes, sleep deprivation and all the
          rest - leaves a great deal to be desired.

          Heleanor

          _
        • Valerie J Roebuck
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009