Brahmin Origins

  • Richard Parker
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2008
      Dienekes' Blog has some interesting stuff on the genetics of this:

      http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2008/08/origin-of-hindu-brahmins.html

      If this isn't a nice case of an invader taking over the aristocracy, I
      don't know what else might be.

      regards

      Richard
    • Ramakrishnan
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2008
        [Mod. note. One of the main uses of population genetics is to infer the
        direction of migrations. But you certainly can't do so in the simplistic way
        claimed in that blog post, which, e.g., tries to associate specific haplotypes
        with "the nucleus of the priestly caste," etc. Quite silly - SF.]

        Does genetics show the directions in which people migrate? I dont think so,
        unless you are trying to find the question that fits your answer.

        Regards,
        Ram

        Richard Parker <richardparker01@...>wrote:

        > Dienekes' Blog has some interesting stuff on the genetics of this:
        >
        > http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2008/08/origin-of-hindu-brahmins.html
        >
        > If this isn't a nice case of an invader taking over the aristocracy, I
        > don't know what else might be.
      • Manjunatha
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2008
          > If this isn't a nice case of an invader taking over the aristocracy, I
          > don't know what else might be.

          I don't know what haplogroups you have in mind. If it's R1a1(IE) and
          R2, no, they aren't, as they are observed in comparable frequencies
          among IE speaking populations(Brahmin to Dalit) of North India (eg.
          UP, Sengupta et al. 2006).

          If you are thinking about J2a (Aryan or Iranian) and most likely G2,
          yes, it shows priestly class formed in West Asia taking(Mesopotamia?)
          over whatever the society the natives or invaders created. Brahmins
          speak IE in IE regions, Dravidian in Dravidian regions and I suppose
          Sino-Tibetan in Sino-Tibetan regions.

          Though I believe the sample sizes of present studies are too small. If
          you look at Sengupta et al. R1a1 is the main haplogroup of Tamil
          Brahmins and Dalits(Pallar). It is counter-intuitive in the case of
          Dalits.

          -Manjunatha