RE: [Indo-Eurasia] Ancient Central Asian Rat God--VN print--mouse wedding

  • jkirk
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2008
      The Kalighat pilgrim paintings of the 19th c in Calcutta also
      featured
      rats, musk-rats, jackals, raja animals. Alas, I cannot find my
      other
      Kalighat book which contains wonderful animal fable paintings.

      On p. 182 of Jyotindra Jain's _Kalighat Painting : Images from a
      Changing
      World_. Ahmadabad: Mapin, 1999, in fig. 162, we see "rat
      justice."
      A rat judge covered by a colorful coat (designed like a dog's
      coat)
      and lying on a colorful rug is viewing a cat tethered by a
      string, and
      another rat is spreading out before the judge what I assume to be

      the charge sheet. Another rat is holding a ceremonial umbrella
      over the
      rat judge, and two guard rats are shown holding sticks
      (lathis). The treatment hints at royalty (ceremonial umbrella)
      for the judge.
      I can't rapidly find a discussion of this picture, and the book's
      is almost useless.

      Joanna K.
      ===================================

      Steve wrote (off-List):

      > Here is a link for you to post if you want, Joanna.
      > Wedding or not, it's certainly interesting:

      http://www.safarmer.com/Indo-Eurasian/rat-mouse-wedding.jpg

      The people who responded to my Vsg list-query about the
      calligraphy within the picture mostly said that the characters
      are
      Chinese, not Nom --and that they were distorted (from age/use of
      the woodblocks) so in many cases unreadable. The picture title
      outside the woodblock print frame at bottom of the piece tells
      it's title. The title of this one is usually translated 'mouse
      wedding'--but I also got reports titling it 'rat wedding'. So I
      title it mouse/rat wedding.

      BTW--The same holds true for frogs/toads in VN folk art and
      folklore. These are very popular fabular animals in VN--I have a
      wonderful toad 'master in his classroom' print. In Japan they are
      translated as frogs--whereas in most VN titles, as toads.

      Cheers,
      Joanna K.