RE: [Indo-Eurasia] Query

  • jkirk
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30 9:37 PM
      Steve--There is a difference in pronunciation. Iranians pronounce
      it Shi'eh.
      But no need to carry this further.
      I'm disappointed that nobody seems to have the info I need.
      So it goes...........

      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2008
        Not Steve, Benjy! Yes, there is a different pronunciation, but it is
        not normally spelt out unless one is directly addressing issues of
        pronunciation, transliteration, and so forth. I did not see that
        these kinds of issues were relevant to your question as suggested by
        Trudy's (and my own) initial confusion over the use of the term
        "Shi'eh".

        Best,

        Benjy

        Trudy Kawami wrote:

        > Do you mean Shi'ia? Most such groups would probably
        > self-identify as Iranian culturally.

        > Trudy Kawami
      • Benjamin Fleming
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2008
          [Mod note: My previous note got sent through before I was finished
          with it! ahem! - BF]

          I was going to add that it is likely, as Trudy suggested, that most
          Shi'a would identify with Iranian or Persian culture, distancing
          themselves from religion per se in the USA, for obvious reasons.This
          is seen, for example, in this Iranian Cultural Foundation site from
          Houston which posits "no religious affiliation"

          http://www.icfhouston.org/

          Best,

          Benjy

          On May 1, 2008, at 11:20 AM, Benjamin Fleming wrote:

          > Not Steve, Benjy! Yes, there is a different pronunciation, but it is
          > not normally spelt out unless one is directly addressing issues of
          > pronunciation, transliteration, and so forth. I did not see that
          > these kinds of issues were relevant to your question as suggested by
          > Trudy's (and my own) initial confusion over the use of the term
          > "Shi'eh".
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > Benjy
          >
          > --- In Indo-Eurasian_research@yahoogroups.com, "jkirk" <jkirk@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Steve--There is a difference in pronunciation. Iranians pronounce
          > > it Shi'eh.
          > > But no need to carry this further.
          > > I'm disappointed that nobody seems to have the info I need.
          > > So it goes...........

        • Nader Rastegar
          Message 4 of 10 , May 11, 2008
            Dear Joanna: I am sorry for the delay in responding. I suspect it
            is about the Alavi Foundation. Alavi means anything to do with Ali,
            the First Imam of the Shi'a Religion. You will have better luck
            with a search on Alavi Foundation based in NYC.

            Regards,
            Nader