Re: Cursing of the Jews

  • Mathew Samuel,Albany,NY
    Message 1 of 824 , Mar 29, 2005
      Re: Cursing of the Jews

      Three years ago, as we were discussing on this topic on this forum,
      Rev. Fr. M.C. Cherian (now H.G. Mar Theophilos) wrote a message on
      this that I am often reminded of. See message # 2637 on this forum.

      There achen tells us that the cursing of the "Jews" is only
      symbolic. We all are equally responsible for that horrific event at
      Calvary that fateful Friday. We have to live with the curses in our
      prayers for the time being, just like we live with the curses in
      several places in the Bible. That seems to me to be a sane approach,
      and more practical, as we may not have a change in our books in the
      recent future. Jesus was crucified not by Jews, but by the
      sinfulness of mankind, the entire mankind. Jews were just
      placeholders\representatives there.

      I remember in a previous year, when achen was in NY for the passion
      week, achen asked us to skip a few stanzas in the songs which were
      about the curses. If that approach is followed in other places, we
      can effectively rid ourselves of the curses on Good Friday and maybe
      the next edition of the prayer book will not have them!

      Regards,
      Mathew Samuel,
      Albany, NY
    • Dr.GeorgeK John
      Message 824 of 824 , Apr 23, 2005
        Dear All,
        we were reading several messages on discussing the
        catholicate and patriarchate and i am sure that those
        arguments will never converge and touch to any
        conclusions as they are kept parallel today. the
        re-establishment of the catholicate of the 3rd century
        was done in malankara in 1912 for which there were
        objections within the church. however it was made
        right in 1964. still the confusion prevails.

        in one of my old postings i just mentioned about the
        establishment of a bishopate in Parumala seminary
        which is the spiritual power for all our church
        leaders, parishes all over the world and an undisputed
        pilgrimage for all irrespective of cast, creed and
        nation.
        St.Greegorios of Parumala himself went to Jeruselam
        and accepted the title of Jerusalem Patriarch in
        silence. However; never agreed to the request of HH
        Moran Peter III the Patriarch of Antioch to shift the
        saint's stay to Jerusalem. saint's staying back at
        Parumala resulted in the 2nd Jerusalem for us.
        it is a common sight in Parumala that a bishop is
        alway is visiting the sacred shrine.
        as suggested in my earlier postings can we position a
        bishop in that vacant seminary and re -establish the
        title 'Jerusalem Patriarch' under the St Thomas
        throne.
        this would fulfil the desire of the saint to activate
        the seminary as the spiritual centre for the church.
        this should be the only place where no Christian shall
        be denied of any sacraments because of the trivial
        church administration.

        with prayers
        Dr.GeorgeK John, Sharjah.