Title of the Catholicose

  • Jason Kora, Tampa, Florida
    Message 1 of 824 , Mar 3 5:53 PM
      Dear All,
      A suggestion that has recently come up is to change
      the title "Catholicose of the East" to "Patriarch of the East,"
      or "Patriarch of India and the East." This, in my opinion would be a
      good change. One of the main reasons is that there are currently
      two "Catholicoses of the East" in India. The changing of the title
      would solve the problem of outside churches not knowing who the
      primate of the Indian Orthodox Church is. This would also help in
      illustrating the fact that our church is not under the jurisdiction
      of any foreign patriarch. The word "Catholicose" may leave doubt that
      the primate who holds that title may be under the authority of some
      other primate(for example, the Jacobite Catholicose is under the
      authority of Antioch). A "Catholicose" may be under a Patriarch, but
      haven't heard of a "Patriarch" being under another Patriarch. Would
      this be a resonable change?

      With Love and Prayers,
      Jason Kora
      St.Mary's Church Tampa
    • Dr.GeorgeK John
      Message 824 of 824 , Apr 23, 2005
        Dear All,
        we were reading several messages on discussing the
        catholicate and patriarchate and i am sure that those
        arguments will never converge and touch to any
        conclusions as they are kept parallel today. the
        re-establishment of the catholicate of the 3rd century
        was done in malankara in 1912 for which there were
        objections within the church. however it was made
        right in 1964. still the confusion prevails.

        in one of my old postings i just mentioned about the
        establishment of a bishopate in Parumala seminary
        which is the spiritual power for all our church
        leaders, parishes all over the world and an undisputed
        pilgrimage for all irrespective of cast, creed and
        nation.
        St.Greegorios of Parumala himself went to Jeruselam
        and accepted the title of Jerusalem Patriarch in
        silence. However; never agreed to the request of HH
        Moran Peter III the Patriarch of Antioch to shift the
        saint's stay to Jerusalem. saint's staying back at
        Parumala resulted in the 2nd Jerusalem for us.
        it is a common sight in Parumala that a bishop is
        alway is visiting the sacred shrine.
        as suggested in my earlier postings can we position a
        bishop in that vacant seminary and re -establish the
        title 'Jerusalem Patriarch' under the St Thomas
        throne.
        this would fulfil the desire of the saint to activate
        the seminary as the spiritual centre for the church.
        this should be the only place where no Christian shall
        be denied of any sacraments because of the trivial
        church administration.

        with prayers
        Dr.GeorgeK John, Sharjah.