Re: Dr.Babu Paul's Misleading Article

  • Thomas P
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2004
      --- In IndianOrthodox@yahoogroups.com, Fr. M K Kuriakose wrote:
      > Dr. Babu Paul's article that appeared in the Malayala Manorama online
      > special edition in connection with the visit of HH the Patriarch of Antioch
      > will mislead some people.

      I like reading the Malayalam articles of Dr. Babu Paul. But in
      matters of faith, I believe that he is pro-Roman Catholic in faith.
      It is largely due to people like him that the Patriarch also shifted
      to RC church views of universal supremacy etc. He also wrote
      extensively about such topics in church publications, books etc. I
      wish if people like Dr. Babu Paul stood for the Oriental Orthodox
      faith. Oriental Orthodox (OO) official dialogue with Roman Catholic
      church started only in 2004, that is several years after we had our
      dialogues with Eastern Orthodox. Next OO meeting with Vatican is in
      January, 2004. Our Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church is represented on
      behalf of Oriental Orthodox communion in this joint official meeting.

      While I respect the person of Dr. Babu Paul, I disgree with his views
      about the Church. I think we need to keep a view same as the Orthodox
      Churches. I believe that it is due to the distorted views of
      prominent people at higher levels that the Patriarch's position was
      shifted to an RC like position. What the Patriarch is trying to
      implement is an RC model with Damascus as the center. In his Delhi
      speech, the Patriarch mentioned about RC church model and how it is a
      valid model. I am really surprised how can an Oriental Orthodox
      primate talk like that! Is he really in the Orthodox faith?

      I wish if Dr. Babu Paul and those who think like him accept the
      reality that is happening in front of them that there is Armenian,
      Eritrean, Ethiopian and Coptic churches, and not just the Antiochian
      supremacy. In this 21st century, Antioch will not succeed in
      establishing an RC model of supremacy, that should not be their aim.
      They should follow the approach of OO fathers of 5th and 6th
      centuries, not diluting the faith.

      If unity with RC should happen as Jacobites desires, it should happen
      not because Patriarch accepted such a unity, but through an
      ecumenical dialogue involving all the Churches in the commuion. That
      is the true spirit of unity. Trying to make major decisions without
      the sister churches is perhaps a strategy to take control over the
      entire OO Church. I hope our people remain cautioned about those who
      work against Orthodoxy.

      Regards,
      -Thomas P

      An analysis of the speech of Patriarch: