Re: Cremating body

  • C. Alex Alexander, M.D.
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2004
      The following is taken down from a website (shown below) on
      cremation and contemporary stand on that issue by other Christian
      churches. I know of no constraints in my personal belief as an
      orthodox christian not to opt for cremation of my body.

      http://www.creativecremains.com/relviews.html

      "The Church of England, for example, which once opposed cremation,
      has dropped its restrictions against the practice. Its support of
      cremation influenced, in turn, the Episcopal Church in the United
      States. Most American Protestant denominations, including Methodist,
      Presbyterian, the Society of Friends (Quakers), Christian Science,
      Seventh-Day Adventists, and Jehovah's Witnesses, permit
      cremation."

      Many Catholics are still unaware that the Church allows cremation.

      "Is cremation an option for Catholics?

      Yes it is, despite being expressly forbidden for centuries, The
      Second Vatican Council in 1963 granted permission for cremation,
      with the provision that there be a sound reason and that it would
      not be a challenge to the belief of resurrection."

      The Russian and Armenian Orthodox Churches neither approve nor
      disapprove of cremation.

      C. Alex Alexander, M.D.