Religious Tolerance

  • Mathew Samuel, Albany, NY
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2004
      Last weekend, I was travelling, and was at Albany
      airport in NY.
      I found a sign indicating "Meditation Room" and
      followed it curiously. I was led into a simple room
      with a view of a scenary on the wall, a few seats,
      some cushions on the floor and the soft sound of water
      trickling. Here in this room were facilities for
      practitioners of the major religions of the world to
      spend a few moments in silence and contemplation. I
      found headgears and dress commonly used in worship and
      prayers by the world religions.

      Among the Bibles and the Koran was a book for Hindu
      worship in a small box. I opened it and it had a few
      sheets with "Santi Mantras" written at the top.

      In those serene surroundings,in that simple room, I
      could sense a presence of Jesus, much more than
      sometimes we can perceive in a huge church, or during
      a soul-stirring sermon. I am sure a Hindu or a Muslim
      visiting that place would have felt the presence of
      the Creator in much the same way, though perhaps he
      would have perceived Him differently.

      If in this land, such model of religious tolerance and
      respect can be witnessed, we of the land of India, who
      have known and lived with other religions much more
      than perhaps any other human race, ought to show more
      and do more in exhibiting love and tolerance towards
      other faiths.

      Regards,
      Mathew Samuel,
      Albany, NY.