Re: Meaning of Syriac sections

  • Eldho Kuriakose
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2001
      Hello All,

      I just wanted to clarify that I only asked the meanings of the sections (Actually, now that I think of it, I don't even know if those two sections I mentioned are Syriac or Greek)- I didn't mean to kick off a debate about the importance of Syrian language in the qurbana. I don't have any particular opinions on whether to use it or not to use it - I think the use of Syrian in our church is relatively limited so that someone who is interested can learn the meanings of the few sections with minimal effort. Also, there maybe sublte details that are in Syriac or Greek that cannot be translated cleanly into all languages. I have heard that the fact that "Kurielaison" is one word is because those who first wrote it felt that people should always be saying "Lord have mercy on me" as a meditation. When the translation is performed, it would be important to capture all these details. It will probably be easier for new members in the church if the entire liturgy was in their native tounge. I don't think that our church teaches Syriac to be a more "theological" language - does it?

      Eldho Kuriakose, New York