Number of Bishops

  • Thomas P
    Message 1 of 256 , Apr 28, 2004
      Many of us think that there is no need for ordaining 7 bishops. This
      thinking is based on our present adimistrative model and our concept
      of how a bishop should exist or maintained (which includes
      facilities).

      I think we can have many more bishops, say 12 for each diocese, with
      a bishop in each major city as part of the Diocese. They are just
      bishops working with the Metropolitan (or Archbishop) head of the
      Diocese. The Archbishop should have very good experience, thorough
      theological background and monastic experiece. The bishops can be
      ordinary celibate people with good educational background and
      monastic experience.

      The Diocese of America can have a Metropolitan and bishops for each
      city. For every 12 priests we can have a bishop subject to the
      metropolitan of the diocese. The Catholicose of the East is the
      Universal head of all St. Thomas Christians and their mission
      worldwide. He represents the unity of the Apostolic Church, while
      Metropolitans and bishops work in each Dioceses.

      These are the advantages:

      - improve Orthodox mission.
      - more care for each parish and needs of people, which includes the
      needs of poor within the Church.
      - uproot protestant influence in most areas.
      - encourage monasticism.
      - to discover youth with spiritual ambitions and direct them towards
      various ministry.

      If about 24 candiates showed interest in becoming bishops, church can
      honor their ambition and ordain them bishops confidently. It is up to
      them to prove their abilities after they are ordained and God will
      strengthen them if they aim to help the Orthodox Church.

      1 Timothy 3: 1 "The saying is sure: If any one aspires to the office
      of bishop, he desires a noble task."

      Since it is a sure saying, all candidates meeting the basic canonical
      criteria can be ordained.

      -Thomas
    • Thomas P