Re: Recipe for Pesaha Appam

  • Annie Thomas, Hyderabad
    Message 1 of 256 , Apr 6, 2004
      I found this recipe for pesaha appam from the Internet:

      Pesaha appam(INRI appam)

      Rice powder (not roasted)-1 cup
      urad dal(uzhunnu)-25 gm
      1/2 coconut grinded(medium)
      pinch of cumin

      Soak the uzhunnu for a few hours.Grind well.
      Grind well the coconut + a pinch of jeera(cumin).
      Add everything together and make a dough of idli maavu consistency.
      "Keep only for 1/2 hour to ferment."
      (To remind of Pesaha)
      Grease preferably steel plates of medium round shape. Pour batter in one, and make a cross of palm leaf obtained on palm sunday on it. Steam till well done.
      Make all other appams same way but with no cross.
      Makes about 2 or 3 medium appams.

      Paalukurukku

      roasted rice powder-1 cup
      sarkkara(molasses)-1 cup
      cardamom powder
      coconut-1

      Please use freshly grinded coconut for making this,otherwise the taste won't be good.Take the juice of coconut.You can put the grinded coconut in mixi and add some hot water to grind for 30 seconds.now the juice comes out easily.1st milk should be kept separately.take 2nd and third milk also.These two should equal 1 litre of milk.

      Take molasses and put the in a saucepan,add some water and heat well.while boiling,a lather forms.this should be cleaned away.then add cumin and chukku(dried ginger).now seive this through a strainer and you can see lot of stones and dirt in it.This liquid form of molasses should be used in your recipes. I have seen lots of people use molasses directly in recipes, without first melting them. Remember,all these dirt and stones are dangerous,especially for kids. This commonly happens when we prepare aval vilayichathu, where we use it directly. But be sure to melt it first. The consistency can be
      achieved by adjusting the amount of water added to it.

      Take the 2nd and third milk, molasses syrup and roasted rice powder, bring to a boil. Stir continuously, otherwise lumps will form.
      mix cardamom powder with 1st milk and add it last. Also add a piece of palm leaf. Before it boils, take off the stove.

      As the tradition goes,the head of the family cuts the appam and gives it to other members, oldest to youngest respectively, after dipping in paalukurukku. This is done in great reverence and pious atmosphere.

      Annie thomas
      Hyderabad
    • Thomas P
      Message 256 of 256 , Apr 28, 2004
        Many of us think that there is no need for ordaining 7 bishops. This
        thinking is based on our present adimistrative model and our concept
        of how a bishop should exist or maintained (which includes
        facilities).

        I think we can have many more bishops, say 12 for each diocese, with
        a bishop in each major city as part of the Diocese. They are just
        bishops working with the Metropolitan (or Archbishop) head of the
        Diocese. The Archbishop should have very good experience, thorough
        theological background and monastic experiece. The bishops can be
        ordinary celibate people with good educational background and
        monastic experience.

        The Diocese of America can have a Metropolitan and bishops for each
        city. For every 12 priests we can have a bishop subject to the
        metropolitan of the diocese. The Catholicose of the East is the
        Universal head of all St. Thomas Christians and their mission
        worldwide. He represents the unity of the Apostolic Church, while
        Metropolitans and bishops work in each Dioceses.

        These are the advantages:

        - improve Orthodox mission.
        - more care for each parish and needs of people, which includes the
        needs of poor within the Church.
        - uproot protestant influence in most areas.
        - encourage monasticism.
        - to discover youth with spiritual ambitions and direct them towards
        various ministry.

        If about 24 candiates showed interest in becoming bishops, church can
        honor their ambition and ordain them bishops confidently. It is up to
        them to prove their abilities after they are ordained and God will
        strengthen them if they aim to help the Orthodox Church.

        1 Timothy 3: 1 "The saying is sure: If any one aspires to the office
        of bishop, he desires a noble task."

        Since it is a sure saying, all candidates meeting the basic canonical
        criteria can be ordained.

        -Thomas