We need to change the administrative set up.

  • Charly V. Padanilam
    Message 1 of 256 , Mar 25, 2004
      The Indian Orthodox Church (IOC) needs a lot of changes.

      We have to structure a set up to organise a dedicated team for the
      mission work in USA. We have to teach the true belief and worship to
      all the people and that is the Primary mission of our church in here.
      For this set up we have to select dedicated people and we have to fund
      for that project.

      We have to put an end to the formation of mushroom type parishes. It
      will be highly appreciable if our Bishops take a stand to not allow
      anybody to form a parish. We should not allow to form a parish if
      there is a parish within 40 miles radius with less than 200 families.
      Each Church should have a full time Priest and that Priest should be
      paid decently. The Priests to be transfered after a term of each 3
      years irrespective of status of the Priest. The Parish has to
      proivide decent accomodation to the Priest.

      The Priests shuld be under the payroll of the Diocese and this system
      should be introduced strictly.

      The Bishops also to be paid by the Diocese under a payroll system and
      all the donations and "Kaimuth" should be accounted in the Diocesan
      Account. Any "Kaimuth" or donation to the Bishop should be paid by
      cheque only in the name of the Diocesan Account. And the Bishops in
      Indian Orthodox Church should be transferred with a term of every 5
      year term.

      Owning private property in the personal name of any Bishop should be
      totally stop and the present properties should be transfered to the
      Church.

      In USA most of the members are US citizens or going to be that. So it
      is not our duty to feed the Church in India. What institution do we
      have in USA?. Our generation will ask this question to us. We have
      to plan to form certain institutions in USA. If we start to charter
      it in a good way it will be fullfilled. A permanent body has to form
      with people who can work for it and who has the ability for that.

      More over we have to co-operate with the other Orthodox Churches as we
      have all the facility in here to utilise it.

      These are some points I would like to share with you all. If the
      Indian Orthodox Church needs an existance then we have to think it in
      a revolutionery way.

      With regards,
      Charly V. Padanilam, Houston
    • Thomas P
      Message 256 of 256 , Apr 28, 2004
        Many of us think that there is no need for ordaining 7 bishops. This
        thinking is based on our present adimistrative model and our concept
        of how a bishop should exist or maintained (which includes
        facilities).

        I think we can have many more bishops, say 12 for each diocese, with
        a bishop in each major city as part of the Diocese. They are just
        bishops working with the Metropolitan (or Archbishop) head of the
        Diocese. The Archbishop should have very good experience, thorough
        theological background and monastic experiece. The bishops can be
        ordinary celibate people with good educational background and
        monastic experience.

        The Diocese of America can have a Metropolitan and bishops for each
        city. For every 12 priests we can have a bishop subject to the
        metropolitan of the diocese. The Catholicose of the East is the
        Universal head of all St. Thomas Christians and their mission
        worldwide. He represents the unity of the Apostolic Church, while
        Metropolitans and bishops work in each Dioceses.

        These are the advantages:

        - improve Orthodox mission.
        - more care for each parish and needs of people, which includes the
        needs of poor within the Church.
        - uproot protestant influence in most areas.
        - encourage monasticism.
        - to discover youth with spiritual ambitions and direct them towards
        various ministry.

        If about 24 candiates showed interest in becoming bishops, church can
        honor their ambition and ordain them bishops confidently. It is up to
        them to prove their abilities after they are ordained and God will
        strengthen them if they aim to help the Orthodox Church.

        1 Timothy 3: 1 "The saying is sure: If any one aspires to the office
        of bishop, he desires a noble task."

        Since it is a sure saying, all candidates meeting the basic canonical
        criteria can be ordained.

        -Thomas