Communication Skills

  • George Kollamparampil
    Message 1 of 574 , Feb 26 11:12 PM
      In IOIF1105 Dr. Abraham Phillips wrote " I hope some day, our church, our
      community and everyone of us will come to realize the importance of
      communication skills and real leadership, and find ways to build and nurture
      them in our young ones. Would there be any interest among the readers in
      starting a discussion on these two skills?"

      I do agree with the views expressed by Dr. Philips. Communication skill has
      greater significance in every walk of life. It is an indicator of human
      knowledge and behaviour. Please review the following Indicators prepared by
      me, part of which is added from the book titled "Communications Skills" by
      John Panackel.

      Definitiion: The Ability to convey a message verbally, or in writing to an
      individual or group and actively listen to the responses:

      Effective:

      1.. Communicates clearly and concisely, avoiding ambiguity or jargon.
      2.. Encourages two-way communication; confirms the message has been
      understood, solicits responses and seeks feedback
      3.. Listens carefully to interpret and understand the message before
      responding.
      4.. Listens appropriately to unspoken or partly expressed feelings of
      others
      5.. Prepares reports and written briefs in a concise and structured
      manner; highlights important points
      6.. Moderates tone, language and content of any communication to the level
      of the individual or group
      7.. Confirms easy understanding of written documents by asking a third
      party for feedback
      8.. Makes appropriate and effective use of body language and appearance to
      communicate a positive attitude; responds to non-verbal cues from others

      Less effective:

      1.. Uses the same level of language for all kinds of groups, often
      resulting in confusion and misunderstanding
      2.. Interrupts others; does not listen to full communication
      3.. Communicates ambiguously, often missing out the important points and
      the purpose of the communication
      4.. Does not clarify understanding; takes comprehension by others for
      granted
      5.. Is either too brief or elaborates too much, irrespective of
      requirements of each situation
      6.. Makes inappropriate use of body language and words, thus conveying the
      wrong message
      7.. Conveys lack of interest by responding inaccurately or inappropriately

      I would, however, request IOIF member, Shri John Panackel, who is an
      outstanding malayalee personality, winner of national and state government
      awards for excellence in social and education fronts, a well known Orator
      and Author of many books like Personality Development, Communication Skills
      etc. to contribute on the subject. John Sir, the ex-HRD Head of GULF AIR,
      is currently the Managing Director of CHARISMA AIR TRAVEL & HRD CONSULTANTS,
      Kochi. I wish if John Sir could spare some time.

      Regards, George Kollamparampil
      Message 574 of 574 , Mar 7, 2004
        A brother asked Abba Sisoes, "What shall I do, abba, for I have fallen?" The old man said to him, "Get up again." The brother said, "I have gotten up again, but I have fallen again." The old man said, "Get up again and again." So the brother said, "How many times?" The old man said, "Until you are taken up either in virtue or in sin. For a man presents himself to judgment in the state in which he is found."

        From the Desert Fathers.

        "Make a joyful shout to the Lord, all you lands! 2 Serve the Lord with gladness; Come before His presence with singing." Psalm 100:1,2