Re: Calcutta Diocese

  • Thomas P
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2003
      --- In IndianOrthodox@yahoogroups.com, Benny Daniel {br.y} wrote:

      > DEAR ALL
      >
      > I JUST DON'T KNOW WHY NO ONE IN THE I.O.C FORUM IS MAKING ANY
      COMMENTS ON THE PARTITION BEING DONE OF CALCUTTA DIOCESE. I AM
      STRICTLY AGAINST THE PARTITION BEING DONE AND PROBABLY TODAY THERE IS
      MEETING TODAY IN DEVALOKAM AND WE STRONGLY PROTEST AGAINST THE
      PARTITION BEING DONE OF CALCUTTA DIOCESE.

      > WHEN THERE WAS NO ONE TO CARE THIS DIOCESE FROM THE SOUTH ONLY OUR
      BELOVED THIRUMENI HIS GRACE MAR THEODOSIOUS CARED AND BROUGHT THIS
      DIOCESE IN SUCH A GOOD FORM AND NOW WHEN THIS DIOCESE HAS PROGRESSED
      SO WELL, WELL WISHERS SITTING IN SOUTH ARE PLANNING TO DIVIDE THIS
      DIOCESE.

      > WITH PRAYERS
      >
      > BENNY DANIEL

      I prefer the usage "Diocese creation" than "diocese
      partition", "diocese division" etc.

      I am sure our people are aware of the works of H.G. Mar Theodosius in
      the Calcutta Diocese. The growth of the Calcutta Diocese is largely
      due to the leadership of His Grace.

      India is one nation and there is no North-South difference. It is the
      same Universal Church of St. Thomas Christians, whether they are
      located in America, Europe, Pacific or India. We need to learn a
      lesson from Hindus, how they helped the integrity of this nation
      irrespective of language differences. We should also learn from the
      RCC, the Christians of St. Peter and how they are united universally.

      Whether we have just one diocese or 1000 dioceses, as long as it is
      in the unity of faith, it all belongs to the same Church. We should
      take everything in that spirit of unity in faith.

      Having dioceses definitely help the growth. New dioceses (Delhi,
      Calcutta ...) are good examples. Smaller dioceses mean more care for
      each parish. Consider large parish churches with thousands of
      families. It is very difficult for one or two priests to care for all
      the people in such parishes. Pentecostals etc. are very active in
      such areas. So, we need chapels surrounding such large parishes, as
      well as prayer groups.

      So, more chapels/parishes/dioceses will help the Church in the long
      run. Another option is to have Archdioceses and suffragan bishops
      under a Metropolitan. There are different administrative models
      adopted by Orthodox churches.

      Let us leave such matters to the Holy Synod. Our bishops have
      monastic, theological and academic training. They will be able to
      handle the administrative matters such as creating new dioceses etc.

      Why we, the lay people, should involve too much in administrative
      matters of the Church? Why can't we leave it to the Metropolitans and
      the Holy Synod? They will be able to handle the matters in a more
      peaceful way as they have more control due to fasting, celibacy and
      prayers.

      Regards,
      Thomas