7 Yama Prarthanakal of Orthodox worship Order

  • Jose Kurian
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2003
      Seven Times Prayers of the Orthodox System.
      (7 Yama Prarthanakal of
      Orthodox worship Order.

      First of all let us think what is prayer. Our Patron Saint, St. Gregorios,
      who was practically a man of prayer, has taught us �prayer is the enthusiasm
      of the childhood, dependence of the youth, and peace of the old age. Prayer
      is a golden chain which links the world in different ways to the presence of
      God.� In short we must understand prayer is an essential need to maintain
      the growth of our spirituality. Our Church Fathers insist us to have prayer
      in standing position, as it is the best way to express our respect to God
      Almighty. So we are not supposed to do prayers in the sitting position. More
      over we have been asked to prostrate (to do Sashtangapranam= Kumbideel)
      along with our prayers. Daniel 6:10 say that he used to prostrate three
      times a day. (See Ezekiel 3:23, 46; 2, Revelations 1:17, 11:16, 19:4, 22:9).
      These portions show us that our Kumbideel is biblical. The literal meaning
      of �Sashtanga-Pranamam means respect with 8 parts of the body. These are the
      parts: Forehead (the source of our brain) Nose �(the source of our life
      giving breathing), two palms, (the source of our activities), two knees of
      the legs, (the source of our movements), both feet, (the source of our
      earthly journeys/walking from place to place.) So while we make the
      Kumbideel we join all these aspects and dedicates before the Lord God.

      The day, which has 24 hours, has been divided as 7 times (Yamams in
      Malayalam). They are
      1. Evening (6 P.M)
      It shows the exodus from the bondage in Egypt and the time of Passover.
      (Please refer Exodus 12:6, Psalms 141:2
      2. Bed tine (Soothaa- 9 P.M)
      It is the time of the prayer of our Lord in the Garden of Gadsamane. Our
      Lord prayed to God the Father, remembering His death. We must meditate these
      facts and must be prepared for our earthly deaths.
      3. Mid night (Pathira)
      Meditate Acts 16:25. This is the time to meditate the time of incarnation
      and Resurrection of our Lord.
      4. Morning (6 A.M)
      Meditate: Psalms 119:147, Psalms 88: 13, Psalms 5:3. Remember that it is the
      time when our Lord Jesus was judged. Meditate on it.
      5. 3rd Hour (9 A.M)
      Meditate Acts. 2:15. It is believed that it is the time when the Holy Spirit
      descended in the Mansion of Sehion. So also the time when our Lord started
      the procession carrying the heavy cross to Golgotha.
      6. 6th Hour (12 PM)
      See Acts 10:9. It must have been a practice of our Lord and his disciples to
      pray at this time. It is the time of the crucifixion of our Lord. (See St.
      Luke 23:24)
      7. 9th Hour (3.P.M)
      See Acts 3:1. Acts 10:3. It is the time when our Lord�s death took place. So
      we must submit all our departed ones before God.

      Considering the inability to conduct the Yama Prayers at the exact timings,
      we have been permitted by the Holy church to conduct these prayers one time
      in the morning and the other in the evening. If so for the evening we have
      to pray the prescribed prayers for 9th Hour (the due prayers for 3 P.M)
      evening prayers and bedtime prayers together. And in the morning we must
      pray the prayers for midnight, morning, 3rd Hour (9.A.M), 6th hour (12 P.M)
      together. But those who could are permitted to have the noon prayers at the
      right time, with the common intercessory prayers.

      Please note that the gap between a prayer time and the next is exactly three
      hours. The modern scientists and experts of the science of human body are of
      the opinion that a change in the internal systems is taking place in each
      human body at the strict interval of 3 hours. If it is true, think how great
      is the instruction of our Church Fathers to have Yaama Prayers at the
      interval of three hours. We start our prayers with the Qouma Prayers, which
      starts with the praise of the H. Trinity and ends with the intercession to
      St. Mary. The word Qouma has derived from the Syriac term �Qoum�, which
      literally means stand/standing and hence the beginning prayers while
      standing are known as Qouma prayers. In seven times prayers, (in total 7
      Yamams) there are totally 10 Qoumas. The midnight prayers have 4 Quomas and
      all the others have one quoma each. These 10 quomas are for the protection
      of our 5 external sense organs as well as the 5 internal sense organs. May
      God bless us all to carry out our prayers more meaningfully, so that we
      could have more and more blessings from God Almighty. May God bless us all.