Who should Manage our 'Church Institutions'?

  • Samuel Mathew , Sharjah
    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 21, 2003
      Sirs,
      Many of my brothers and sisters continue to write about Kolenchery Medical Mission and Medical Colleges. There were outbursts for removing the word �Orthodox� from the Medical Mission.
      Let me ask a simple question. Indian Orthodox Internet Forum is a Malankara Othodox Church property? If it not the official mouth organ forum can we continue to call it Indian Orthodox Internet Forum? Please answer this question.
      Secondly, how far we are from the fact? As far as I know, the Malankara Othodox Medical Mission Hospitals and College is solely under the Church. His Holiness Baselios Marthoma Mathews II is the sole authority and a governing body is there for the day-to-day affairs. Fr. C. M. Kuriakose, former vicar of Sharjah parish was the chaplain of the chapel appointed by His Holiness. When he relinquished the post he sent the resignation to His Holiness.
      However, St. Peters College, Kolenchery is not directly under the Church and whatever read in this forum is quite relevant for it.
      In my opinion, the moderators should approach to a reliable agency/ any church quarter and made known the facts to your readers. That is very very important.

      There are numerous institutions namely St. Gregorios College- Kottarkkara, Engineering College and nearly 60 acres land in Shasthamctta, Chegamanad Ashram and properties, Chayalode Ashram and properties, Adoor St. Cyril College etc. All those are established under the abe leadership of our His Holiness. After his time and after a few years what would be it�s fate and who is going to control is an interesting matter to wait and see.
      A serious debate is essential for it. Before that the full clear picture must be given. I hope the Moderators will come forward and take the lead.

      P.S.Mathew
      Sharjah_UAE
    • Dr. C. Alex Alexander
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 9, 2003
        From the Desk of the Moderators:

        The following response from Dr. Alexander was received about the
        same time that Mr. George Kollamparambil (GK) withdrew his
        earlier assertions regarding women�s inequality vs. men�s
        abilities etc which GK admitted as having been gleaned from an
        outdated Text Book of Psychology. Since GK had withdrawn his previously stated reliance on Volkmar�s Text Book which could not be identified without a full
        citation with date and name of publisher etc., the Moderators
        held up the release of the following response from Dr. Alexander
        pending further review. Dr. Alexander�s explanation of the state
        of present knowledge on this matter is posted below. We regret
        the delay in publishing it. Since we have discussed this topic
        in detail, we will not entertain further discussion at this point.

        Mr. George Kollamparambil (GK) and others who subscribe to
        either his views or that of Volkmar as cited by Mr. G.K. in the
        latter�s Textbook of Psychology may find the following as well
        as the references given below of much value. Incidentally, all
        of the material abstracted below is verbatim from the writings
        of scientists. I have edited minimally, mostly to conserve
        space and to enable non-medical unfamiliar with medical jargon
        to understand the complexities of this issue. The sources have
        been provided for interested readers to verify the rigor and
        strength of the data presented..
        The thrust of Mr.G.K�s arguments (�what about the skull?� )
        appear to have been based on Volkmar�s contention of skull-size
        differences between males and females being responsible for the
        a woman being �far behind in concepts/intelligence/wisdom/vision
        etc�. That is a fair question. But, the assumption that men�s
        bigger skull sizes endow them with superior intelligence etc.,
        is not substantiated by data. So, please read on!
        I. Male-Female Brain Size Differences (Source:
        www.brainplace.com)

        Cell numbers -- men have 4% more brain cells than women, and
        about 100 grams more of brain tissue. Should�nt women ask why
        men need more brain tissue in order to get the same things done?

        Cellular connections - even though a man seems to have more
        brain cells, it is reported that women have more dendritic
        (network) connections between brain cells. Is that the reason
        for women�s greater intuition, empathy etc.,?

        Size of Corpus callosum (a sort of mid-brain bridge connecting
        the two sides) - a woman's brain has a larger corpus callosum.
        Data does show that women can transfer data faster than men
        from the right and left hemispheres of the brain. Is that why
        women have greater intuition and empathy than men?

        Language - for men, language is most often just in the dominant
        hemisphere (usually the left side), but a larger number of women
        seem to be able to use both sides for language. If a woman has
        a stroke in the left front side of the brain, she may still
        retain some language from the right front side. Men who have the
        same left sided damage are less likely to recover as fully. Is
        that a strength or weakness? For whom?

        Brain�s Limbic size -- bonding/nesting instincts - current
        research has demonstrated that females, on average, have a
        larger deep limbic system than males. Due to the larger deep
        limbic brain women are more in touch with their feelings, a more
        acute sense of smell, an increased ability to bond and be
        connected to others., e.g., children. Having a larger deep
        limbic system makes a female somewhat more susceptible to
        depression, especially at times of significant hormonal changes
        such as the onset of puberty, before menses, after the birth of
        a child and at menopause. Women attempt suicide three times more
        than men. Yet, men kill themselves three times more than women,
        in part, because they use more violent means of killing
        themselves.

        Edward O. Wilson�s (10) work also shows that females are higher
        in empathy, verbal and social skills while men in general show
        greater proclivity for dominance, aggression, spatial and
        mathematical skills.

        II. From Article by Renato M.E.Sabbatini, Ph.D.,
        (Neuropsychologist), Associate Editor of BRAIN & MIND, (Source:
        www.epub.org.br)

        Dr. Sabbatini has summarized contemporary research titled: �Are
        there differences between the Brains of Males and Females�,
        Dr.Sabbatini ends his review of current research on this topic
        by summarizing among others referenced below,, principally the
        work of Dr. Godfrey Pearlson of Johns Hopkins who studied the
        brains of males and females through the use of MRI(Magnetic
        Resonance Imaging) and PET(Positron Emission Tomography) Scans
        and Dr. Courten-Myers thus: �Neuroscience has made great strides
        in the 90s, regarding the discovery of concrete, scientifically
        proved anatomical and functional differences between the brains
        of males and females. This new knowledge may help physicians and
        scientists to discover new ways to explore the brain differences
        in the benefit of the treatment of diseases, the personalized
        action of drugs, different procedures in surgeries, etc. After
        all, males and females differ only by one Y chromosome, but this
        makes a real impact upon the way we react to so many things,
        including pain, hormone etc.�
        P., Pearlson, G. Sex differences in the inferior parietal
        lobule. Cerebral Cortex vol 9 (8) p896 - 901, 1999 [MEDLINE].
        2. Geary, D.C. Chapter 8: Sex differences in brain and
        cognition. In "Male, Female: the Evolution of Human Sex
        Differences". American Psychological Association Books. ISBN:
        1-55798-527-8 [AMAZON].
        3. Harasty J., Double K.L., Halliday, G.M., Kril, J.J., and
        McRitchie, D.A. Language-associated cortical regions are
        proportionally larger in the female brain. Archives in Neurology
        vol 54 (2) 171-6, 1997 [MEDLINE].
        4. Collaer, M.L. and Hines, M. Human behavioural sex
        differences: a role for gonadal hormones during early
        development? Psychological Bulletin vol 118 (1): 55-77, 1995
        [MEDLINE].
        5. Bishop K.M. and Wahlsten, D. Sex differences in the human
        corpus callosum: myth or reality? Neuroscience and
        Biobehavioural Reviews vol 21 (5) 581 - 601, 1997.
        6. LeVay S. A difference in hypothalamic structure between
        heterosexual and homosexual men Science. 253(5023):1034-7, 1991
        [MEDLINE].
        See also: LeVay, S.: "The Sexual Brain". MIT Press, 1994
        [AMAZON]
        7. Shaywitz, B.A., et al. Sex differences in the functional
        organisation of the brain for language. Nature vol 373 (6515)
        607 - 9, 1995 [MEDLINE].
        8.Rabinowicz T., Dean D.E., Petetot J.M., de Courten-Myers G.M.
        Gender differences in the human cerebral cortex: more neurons in
        males; more processes in females. J Child Neurol. 1999
        Feb;14(2):98-107. [MEDLINE]
        9.Schlaepfer T.E., Harris G.J., Tien A.Y., Peng L., Lee S.,
        Pearlson G.D. Structural differences in the cerebral cortex of
        healthy female and male subjects: a magnetic resonance imaging
        study. Psychiatry Res. 1995 Sep 29;61(3):129-35 [MEDLINE].
        10. Wilson, E.O. - "Sociobiology". Harvard University Press,
        1992 [AMAZON].
        11.Moir A. and Jessel D. - "Brain Sex". 1993 [AMAZON] See also:
        Excerpts from the book
        12. Blum, D. - "Sex on the Brain: The Biological Differences
        Between Men and Women". Penguin, 1998 [AMAZON]
        13. Kimura, D. - "Sex and Cognition". MIT Press, 1999 [AMAZON]