Re: Can we wake up

  • George Mathew
    Message 1 of 241 , May 30, 2003
      Some thoughts on Fr.Joys suggestions

      A number of people raise their concerns and give suggestions on a variety
      of topics including solving the problems of the Church in North America and
      peace and unity in the mother church at this site.Most of the time we make
      exhortations to 'wake up and do something" But has any one woke up yet? Have
      we been able to wake any one in the church heirarchy? As the old saying goes
      it is easy to wake up the sleeping; but it is difficult to wake up the one
      who is pretending to be sleeping.Our Church leaders in North America and at
      Kottayam know about the problems in North America.If they did not know it
      was possible to make them aware and get some action.However they are fully
      aware of it.but not doing anything about it.Either they are afraid to act.Or
      they are thinking the problems will go away as time goes on.They have no
      immediate loss for not acting.For them problems are 12000 miles away.When
      ever requests come for monetary contributions always there is not shortage
      of donations.No bishop of the church goes back empty handed. When talked
      privately every one of them is very sympathetic of the problems.Then one
      wonders why these individual sympathizers cannot raise the issue in the
      Synod or the Church Managing committee and work towards a solution.But it has
      not been happening.Is there anything wrong if some one doubts about the
      sincerity of these words of sympathy in private talks? My feeling is they
      are helpless once they reach Kottayam and they do not have any real voice at
      point where decisions are made

      Now the question of waking up to do something here.Does Joy Achan really
      believe people can get together and make declaration of some kind that would
      send any shockwaves?Which Achen will come to the leadership? Given the set up
      of our Church a grassroots movement is impossible.The loyalties of the
      people are so varied that we cannot get any consensus on these issues.

      I see only two options.(1) The Kottayam takes the bold step of asking probably both the Bishops to retire and work as senior bishops only
      available to conduct non administrational duites,if they choose to live in
      North America.The Church appoints a new Metropolitan whose name has not been
      blemished in anyway. At the same time the priests who have served the
      Church very well but acted as supporters of either bishops are also
      requested to retire from administrative duties.

      (2) The result is the same.But instead of Kottayam imposing a decision both
      bishops can agree in the best interest of the Church to retire and recommend
      the appointment of a new bishop without any blemishes as the new
      Metropolitan.The senior priests also should voluntarily agree to relinquish
      their administrative duties and devote only to spiritual work where ever
      they are asked to work.The second option which is voluntary is the most
      desirable.Hopefully over a period of five years things will come back to
      normal and time is a big healer.This would a great sacrifice that will be
      recorded in history and will be a great achievement for the Church and a
      gift to the new generation of Indian Orthodox North Americans.

      Unless this happens the present crisis will linger on for a long long time
      and Church will survive with new immigrants.We will fail the second
      generation.The choice is ours.

      Thanks and regards
      George Mathew Panicker
      Message 241 of 241 , Jun 30, 2003
        "The Lord, indeed, is the Lover of mankind, so full of tender compassion
        whenever we turn completely toward Him and are freed from all things contrary.
        Even though we, in our supreme ignorance, childishness, and tendency toward evil,
        turn away from true life and place many impediments along our path because we
        really do not like to repent, nevertheless, He has great mercy on us. He
        patiently waits for us until we will be converted and return to Him and be
        enlightened in our inner selves that our faces may not be ashamed in the day of
        judgment."

                        St. Macarius the Great.
        "My eye wastes away because of affliction. Lord, I have called daily upon
        You; I have stretched out my hands to You." Psalm 88:9