Devotional Thoughts for Sunday Feb 2nd 2003

  • HG Mathews Mar Barnabas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2003
      The Fourth Sunday after DHANAHA (EPIPHANY)

      Gospel Reading: Mark 6: 1- 6 (MKJV).

      1 And He went out from there and came into His native-place. And His
      disciples followed Him. 2 And when the sabbath day had come, He
      began
      to teach in the synagogue. And many hearing Him , were astonished,
      saying, Where does this one get these things? And what wisdom is
      this
      which is given to him, that even such mighty works are done by his
      hands? 3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of
      James and Joses and Judas and Simon? And are not his sisters here
      with us? And they were offended at Him.

      4 But Jesus said to them, A prophet is not without honor, except in
      his native-place, and among his own kin, and in his own house. 5 And
      He could do no work of power there, except that He laid His hands on
      few sick ones, He healed them. 6 And He marveled because of their
      unbelief. And He went around the villages, in a circuit, teaching.

      H.G Mathews Mar Barnabas:

      Here we find our Lord's experience in his hometown. The people there
      thought of Him as a mere human being like themselves and wondered
      how
      He had such wisdom and the power to do mighty works. They said, "Is
      not this the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James and
      Jesse, and Judas and Simon, and not his sisters here with us?"
      Instead
      of having faith in His divine powers, they took offense at Him. As a
      result our Lord was not able to do any mighty works except that He
      healed a few sick people. Our Lord marveled at their unbelief.

      Here we find the need for faith. Only when we respond to the working
      of the Holy Spirit and have faith, God can work in us. The story of
      the healing of the epileptic boy is noteworthy in this connection.
      The
      father of the epileptic boy took him to the disciples of our Lord.
      But
      they could not heal him. So the father approached our Lord
      saying, "If
      you can do anything, have pity on us and help us." (St. Mark 9: 22)
      Our Lord replied saying, " If you can? All these are possible to him
      who believes." Then the father cried out, "I believe. Help my
      unbelief." Then the boy was healed.

      On another occasion, two blind men came to our Lord for getting
      healed. "Do you think that I can do this?" our Lord asked. "Yes
      Lord",
      they replied. They were then healed.

      The healing of the deaf and dumb man is an example, which shows how
      our Lord instilled faith before healing. Our Lord took him aside
      from
      the multitude privately, put His fingers into his ears and spat and
      touched his tongue saying "Ephatha" (St. Mark 7: 31-37). He was thus
      healed.

      Now the question arises, how to grow in faith. The more we do the
      will
      of God, the more faith we will have in the protection and help of
      God.
      Our Lord said of Himself as follows: "He who sent me is with me. He
      has not left me, for I always do what is pleasing to Him." (St. John
      8:29) Our Lord tells us "If you abide in me and my words abide in
      you,
      whatsoever you ask and it shall be done to you." (St. John 15:7)

      On the other hand, when we sin, we can not have faith in God's help.
      God speaks through Prophet Isaiah as follows: "When you spread out
      your hands, I will hide my face from you. Even though you make many
      prayers, I will not listen. Your hands are full of blood. Wash
      yourselves. Make yourselves clean. Remove the evil of your doings
      from
      before my eyes." (Isaiah 1: 15-16)

      Let us therefore try to lead godly lives and have faith in God, so
      that God can do mighty works in us. Amen.

      HG Mathews Mar Barnabas,
      Metropolitan, American Diocese

      This message from His Grace Mar Barnabas is reused from
      HG's sermon sent to IOIF in 2001. We are grateful to Thirumeni for this message.
      - Moderators, IOIF