Re: Good Friday Service - Posting of John Thomas

  • Pangelie09@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2001
      I'm just writing to express my opinion on Mr. John Thomas's ideas. I totally
      agree with Mr. Abu Koshy George. As times go by, the church should move
      along too. But to cut the services, has nothing to do with changing times.
      So much of our faith is put into those weekly 2 hours, which our forefathers
      passed on to us. Can we just easily forget all that was put in to create our
      faith? Orthodox literally means 'traditional.' If we change everything,
      what's traditional about Orthodoxy anymore? Besides, we spend countless
      hours working on school work, or at work, or just watchin T.V. and relaxing.
      Isn't that time better spent praising the Lord, who has done so much
      for us, even though we don't deserve it?

      To cut short our Easter and Good Friday services, I think, is completely wrong. But that is my opinion. And, I didn't quite understand what you were trying to say about our Manglish services. If I comprehended what you meant, I think you don't see what good it has also. I believe that keeping the service in Manglish is partly a form of changing with the time. We're the first generation here in America, or atleast I am. Just by being born here, I've lost some of my heritage, trying to fit in, in both cultures. But the little deed of singing all our hymns in manglish, helps me grasp a little more of where we came from. I realize some of the meanings are lost, but this is the only way our leaders saw. I am not trying to hurt your feelings or anything. I just felt really strongly against what you said. It was as if you personally insulted me. But please don't take any of what I said in the wrong way.
      Renee Rachel Philip