The Lords Prayer..

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 23 6:51 AM
      (Person) : "Our Father who art in heaven...."
      (God) : Yes?
      (Person) : Don't interrupt me. I'm praying.
      (God) : But you called me.
      (Person) : Called you? I didn't call you. I'm praying. "Our Father which art in heaven..."
      (God) : There you did it again.
      (Person) : Did what?
      (God) : Called me... you said, "Our Father which art in heaven." Here I am ... What's on your mind?
      (Person) : But I didn't mean anything by it. I was, you know, just saying my prayers for the
      day. I always say the Lord's Prayer. It makes me feel good, kind of like getting a duty
      done.
      God) : All right . Go on.
      (Person) : "Hallowed be thy name .... "
      (God) : Hold it. What do you mean by that?
      (Person) : By what?
      (God): By “hallowed be thy name.."?
      (Person): It means ... it means... Good grief, I don't know what it means. How should I
      know? It's just a part of the prayer. By the way, what does it mean?
      (God): It means honored, holy, and wonderful.
      (Person): Hey, that makes sense. I never thought about what "hallowed" meant before. “Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."
      (God): Do you really mean that?
      (Person): sure, why not?
      (God): what are you doing about it?
      (Person): Doing? Nothing, I guess. I just think it would be kind of neat if you got control of everything down here like you have up there.
      (God): Have I got control of you?
      (Person): Well, I go to Church.
      (God): That isn't what I asked you. What about your bad temper? You've really got a problem there, you know. And then there's the way you spend your money.... All on
      yourself. And what about the kind of books you read?
      (Person): Stop picking on me! I'm just as good as some of the rest of those people at
      the church.
      (God): Excuse me. I thought you were praying for my will to be done. If that is to happen,
      it will have to start with the ones who are praying for it. Like you, for example
      (Person): Oh, all right. I guess I do have some hang-ups. Now that you mention it, I could
      probably name some others.
      (God): So could I
      (Person): I haven't thought about it very much until now, but I really would like to cut out
      some of those things. I would like to, you know, be really free.
      (God): Good. Now we're getting somewhere. We'll work together, you and I. Some
      victories can truly be won. I'm proud of you.
      (Person): Look, Lord, I need to finish up here. This is taking a lot longer than it usually
      does. "Give us this day, our daily bread"
      (God): You need to cut out the bread. You're overweighing as it is.
      (Person): Hey. Wait a minute! What is this, "Criticize me day?" here I was doing my
      religious duty, and all of a sudden you break in and remind me of all my hang-ups.
      (God): Praying is a dangerous thing. You could wind up changed, you know. That's what
      I'm trying to get across to you. You called me, and here I am. It's too late to stop now.
      Keep praying, I'm interested in the next part of your prayer... (pause). Well, go on.
      Person): I'm scared to.
      (God): Scared? Of what?
      (Person): I know what you'll say.
      (God): Try me and see
      (Person): "forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us."
      (God): What about Ann?
      (Person): See? I knew it. I knew you would bring her up! why, Lord, she's told lies about
      me, spread stories about my family. She never paid back the debt she owes me. I've
      sworn to get even with her!
      (God): But your prayer? What about your prayer?
      (Person): I didn't mean it
      (God): Well, at least you're admitting it,. But it's not much fun carrying that load of bitterness around inside, is it.
      (Person): No, but I'll feel better as soon as I get even. Boy, have I got some plans for that neighbor. She'll wish she had never moved into this neighborhood.
      (God): You won't feel any better. You'll feel worse. Revenge isn't sweet. think of how unhappy you already are. But I can change all that.
      (Person): You can? How?
      (God): Forgive Ann. Then I'll forgive you. Then the hate and sin will be Ann's problem and
      not yours. You will have settled your heart.
      (Person) : oh, you're right. You always are. And more than I want to get revenge on Ann, I
      want to be right with you... (pause) .... (sigh)... all right. All right.. I forgive her. Help her to
      find the right road in life, Lord. She's bound to be awfully miserable now that I think about
      it. Anybody who goes around doing the things she does to others has to be out of it.
      Some way, some how, show her the right way.
      (God) : There now!! Wonderful!! How do you feel?
      (Person) : Hmmmmm. Well not bad. Not bad at all. In fact, I feel pretty great!! You know, I
      don't think I'll have to go to bed tonight for the first time since I can remember. Maybe I
      won't be so tired from now on because I'm not getting enough rest.
      (God) : You're not through with your prayer. Go on.
      (Person) : Oh, all right. " and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil."
      (God) : Good !! Good!! I'll do that. Just don't put yourself in a place where you can be
      tempted.
      (Person) : What do you mean by that?
      (God): Don't turn the TV when you know the laundry needs to be done and the house
      needs to be picked up. Also, about the time you spend coffeeing with your friends, if you
      can't influence the conversation to positive things, perhaps you should rethink the value of these friendships. Another thing, your neighbors and friends shouldn't be your standard for "keeping up". And please don't use me for an escape hatch.
      (Person) : I don't understand the last part.
      (God) : Sure you do . you've it a lot of times. You get caught in a bad situation. You get into trouble and then you come running to me, "lord help me out of this mess and I promise you I'll never do it again." You remember some of those bargains you tried to make with me?
      (Person) : Yes, and I'm ashamed, lord, I really am.
      (God) : Which bargain are you remembering?
      (Person) : Well. There was the night that Bill was gone and the children and I were some
      alone. The wind blowing so hard I thought the roof would go any minute and tornado
      warning were out. I remember praying, "Oh, God, if you spare us, I'll never skip my devotions again."
      (God) : Did you?
      (Person) : I'm sorry, Lord, I really am. Up until now I thought that if I just prayed the Lord's
      prayer every day, then I could do what I liked. I didn't expect anything to happen like it
      did.
      God) : Go ahead and finish your prayer.
      (Person) : "For thine is the kingdom, and the power and the glory forever " Amen.
      (God) : Do you know what would bring me glory? What would really make me happy?
      (Person) : No, but I'd like to know. I want now to please you. I can see what a mess I've made of my life. And I can see how great it would be to really be one of your followers.
      God) : You just answered the question.
      (Person) : I did??
      (God) : Yes, the thing that would bring me glory is to have people like you truly love
      me. And I see that happening between us. Now that some of those old sins are
      exposed and out of the way, well, there is no telling what we can do together.Get more from the Web.
    • Fr. Dr. Joy Pyngolil
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 24 6:40 PM
        I was told that there was a meeting in New York on 9/21/02 to decide on the
        imminent purchase of a property for the diocesan center. The group gathered
        together has decided to purchase a piece of property- (4 acres in Queens)
        being sold out by the New York State. It is close to our current diocesan
        center. The property is part of a psychiatric hospital being disbursed by
        the New York State at a discounted price to nonprofit community or cultural
        oriented programs. This was an opportunity for the diocese- a nonprofit
        organization to step in for 'piece.'

        The meeting, held in New York with vicars and two representatives from each
        of the parishes-27 altogether, has hesitantly decided to give the green
        signal to purchase the property using diocesan collections. However, the
        diocese cannot own that property for twenty-five years. It is a nice deal, 4
        acres for a million plus dollars in Queens. The property will be purchased
        in the name of another corporation with socio-cultural ideals-and then they
        in turn will lease it out to the diocese. By the way, any person of Indian
        decent living (not necessarily orthodox members) in New York Queens area can
        legitimately become a member of the organization.

        Something has to be done in this case because it is the long standing wish of
        the diocesan metropolitan and all members of the diocese.

        Certain questions for discussion.

        1. Do the people gathered in New York 9/21/02 have any legitimate authority
        to decide on the diocesan issues? (Church Constitution says "NO" because
        they are not the legitimate members of the diocesan assembly)

        2. Why should we form another corporation to purchase a property with no
        religious affiliation? Is it ethical, moral or legal? Conceivably, it is a
        concealed effort to manipulate the system.

        3. Shall we compromise our ethics and discipline for a piece of land?

        4 Can we buy a piece of land with full price and call it "ours?"

        5. Does the "end justify the means?"

        6. Will there be a legitimate diocesan assembly to discuss these issues?

        Fr. JP
        __________

        Moderators' Note:

        We contacted the American Diocese to get more information about the afore mentioned meeting, but didn't get a response yet. When we get further information, we shall post it for the benefit of all our members.
      • Thomas P
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 1, 2002
          Your Grace Meletius Thirumeni, I am very happy to know that our
          spiritual fathers are listening to the common people, that even the
          concern of a common layman with no position in the Church is given
          attention.

          Forgive me if I offended any one in my Church. I have no issue with
          usage "Syrian" internally within the Church or teaching Syriac for
          liturgical studies. It is a great language. Even Anthioc cannot claim
          a pure Syrian status because majority of Anthiocians before the
          council of Chalcedon were Greeks. For us, Syrianess is understood only
          in a purely spiritual sense.

          I am not against any study being conducted on us "Orthodox Christians
          of India" or just "Christians of St. Thomas origin in India". This is
          the most generic category as it includes all denominations originating
          out of the mother church. On the other hand, a Syrian categorization
          should include also the "Knanaya" belonging to both sections. Though
          the syro-Malabar section of Knanaya believe that they are of Persian
          origin (hence St. Thomas Christians), the jacobite section try to
          prove in every possible way that they are from Anthioc.

          I will share one of my experiences. Once a Greek Orthodox colleague
          asked me about my religious identity. I said that I am in the
          Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church. Immediately he asked if I hold a
          "Syrian Passport". Many Hindu friends also asked me if our ancestors
          were Syrian settlers in India. Most of our people within the Church
          understand Syrianness in a spiritual sense. Regarding the ethnicity,
          our people know that we trace origin to a Hindu baptised by St.
          Thomas. There are two things now: our spiritual identity and our
          ethnic identity.

          There are two dangers posed by categorizing us as Syrians in
          statistical studies conducted on various religious communities of
          India:

          1. Will prevent the growth of Orthodox christianity (Indian people of
          all religions already developing the perception that this is only an
          ethnic syrian community in India). No one would want to sacrifice
          their Indian identiy to assume a syrian identity.

          2. May affect the church in the long future. Religious fundamentalist,
          in a fascist manner, may say that we are not Indians. Armenian
          genocide is an example.

          The first is more important.

          Our church should do every possible step to integrate us to the Indian
          civilization and uphold our Indian identity. What our community
          should love should be the core thing, the "Orthodox faith" and not
          narrow things like "syrianness".

          Your grace, again forgive me. While it is good to know our present
          rate of growth or decline, we need to keep also in mind the future
          growth of Orthodox Church in the subcontinent. Spiritually, the
          Catholicate of the East is for the entire East - people of various
          ethnicities and civilizations in the East. While this is a dream, I
          believe that fullfilment happens with small sacrifices and steps we
          boldly take as a Church at present.

          Yours faithfully,
          Thomas

          --- In IndianOrthodox@y..., Yuhanon Mor Meletius Metropolitan,
          Thrissur. (milt...) wrote:
          I do not understand why Mr. Thomas got so angry about a study conducted by Center of Development Studies, Trivandrum. Any one in India has the right to
          do a study on any subject he/she likes.
          The point the researcher wanted to make is that "social and economic changes cause the size and nature of the family.......
        • Raji Johnson
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 2, 2002
            I have a personal testimony to share with you on miracle/faith healing which happened in my family recently. My sister in law who lives in the US had chronic ear infection since past three yrs. and repeated intake of various antibiotics did not seem to cure it completely, she underwent inner ear operation but the infection kept coming back, it escalated with severe head aches, the MRI and CAT scan revealed that it had gotten into the lower bone of the skull and she had to undergo another surgery (a sensitive one which, if gone wrong could paralyze her), we all prayed for her healing, the Achan of her parish (Orthodox) spent 4-5 hours of continuous prayer at her home, the whole congregation prayed for her healing, my brother in-law a former Orthodox , now a Pentecost also prayer for her - Lo and behold ! When the surgeon opened her up there was not a trace of infection in her skull, the Dr. himself could not explain the healing. It was a miracle--- not only Benny Hinn but also Orthodox /Pentecostal priests and ordinary people like us can cause miracle healings if we have faith in us.

            In scripture, we find the Bible has multiple accounts of people being healed based on one person's faith or another.

            Matthew 9.27-31 recounts the healing of two blind men who got Jesus' attention as he passed: "When he entered the house, the blind men came to him; and Jesus said, 'Do you believe I am able to do this?' They said, 'Yes, Lord.' Then he touched their eyes and said, 'According to your faith let it be done to you.'"(Matthew 9:28-29. In Luke 8 we read of Jairus and his daughter. The child dies as Jesus makes his way to the home and the family is bereaved. But Jesus tells her father, "'Do not fear. Only believe, and she will be saved.' When he came to the house, he did not allow anyone to enter with him, except Peter, John, and James, and the child's father and mother. . . . he took her by the hand and called out, 'Child, get up!' Her spirit returned, and she got up at once" (Luke 8:50-55). Here it is the father's faith that enables the healing.

            In (Matthew 9:2-6)"Some people were carrying a paralyzed man lying on a bed. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, 'Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.' Then he said to the paralytic, 'Stand up, take your bed and go to your home'". Notice here it is the faith of the friends Jesus comments on. Finally, we read "'Teacher, I brought my son; he has a spirit that makes him unable to speak; and whenever it seizes him, it dashes him down; and he foams and grinds his teeth and becomes rigid; and I asked your disciples to cast it out, but they could not do so.' . . . Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to it, 'You spirit that keeps this boy from speaking and hearing, I command you, come out of him, and never enter him again!' . . . When he had entered the house, his disciples asked him privately, 'Why could we not cast it out?' And he said, 'This kind can come out only through prayer'" (Mark 9:17-29).
            Indeed, when Jesus was in Nazareth we read he could perform very few miracles because of the lack of faith in that town (Mark 6:5-6). In the Old Testament we read --- (Isaiah 53: 5) But he was wounded for our transgressions, - - - - and with his stripes we are healed.

            But today sometimes we have whole churches, perhaps hundreds of people praying in faith for healing, but many stay sick, remain diseased, and even die. Whose faith is lacking in these cases? We can never tell.

            In the matter of freedom of attending other denominations let us see what the scriptures say --- In a letter to Thessalonians Paul says, "Don't suppress the Spirit, and don't stifle those who have a word from the Master. On the other hand, don't be gullible. Check out everything, and keep only what's good. Throw out anything tainted with evil" (1 Thessalonians 5.19-22). Indeed, John writes that we are to test the spirits to see if they're from God "because there are many false prophets" (1 John 4.1). How do we test the spirit---? Use our commonsense! Consult the Bible!!

            In my personal experience a lot of what I learned about the scriptures and Christian way of life, is not from Orthodox Church teachings alone, but by listening to gifted speakers from other denominations, I would hate to miss a sermon by Rev. Billy Graham. His simple teaching lingers in me and keeps me thinking for days.

            Regards in Christ
            Raji Johnson
          • George Varghese, Canada
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 2, 2002
              --- In IndianOrthodox@y..., Samuel Mathew, Sharjah wrote:
              "What we can do at this crucial and critical juncture?
              Yes, I believe that we can many things.We can play a role in the
              corrective path.The major chunk of fund spent for the defense and
              other developmental projects are from the Gulf and United States"

              I will be sharing thoughts on defence & development projects ,Gulf ,
              USA & parishes in the next post.This is only on the defence, which has
              to stop & set out again from the Offence.

              What is this crucial & critical juncture:? This Crucial & Critical
              juncture began from the time of Jesus Christ & establishment of the
              Church & for us when St. Thomas bought the gospel India. This Church
              has faced for these two thousand years troubles & repeatedly God was
              telling us to continue His Mission. In the History of this Church
              we have had who all- Persians,Syrians,Portuguese, Britishers etc.
              all instead of working within their Church come to Indian to redeem
              us -For what? For who? -what purpose have they achieved?

              Well,I asked myself many a times & once posted why does Church
              need Courts of law & the history. I was introduced to Vattasseril
              Geevarghese Mar Dionysius - Metropolitan Mar Dionysius V1, a true
              hero along others before and after him who worked for this Church. To
              defend this Church, rather than passive, they had been offensive for
              not their persons, but for this Indian Church. It was their efforts
              that culminated at Malankara Association meeting in Parumala, results
              authenticated by Observer, Justice Mr. V.S. Malimath, submitted to
              the Hon'ble Supreme Court of India, that HH Morn Mar Baselius
              Marthoma Mathews II is the Malankara Metropolitan.

              This was an occasion we hoped that lasting peace begin in our Church.
              Peace is yet to come. Peace must come from within the Indian Church.
              From the History of our Church, what has been hindering it. Marthoma
              Christians responded to what was hindering it at Koonen Kurish Satyam
              that they would not accept the supremacy of Rome. Mar Dionysius VI
              responded to it, strongly established the Catholicate at Kottayam. Our
              fathers like Paulose Mar Gregogorios Thirumeny, V.C Samuel Achen
              responded to it. Our Bava Thirumeny responded to it. Members who
              attended the Malnkara Association responded. Now is the
              time again for all Indian Orthodox Christians to respond.

              There requires dedication to not now defending rather than taking
              head along our problems even more offensively than it had ever in the
              past. I cite some words which Fr. M.K. Kuriakose wrote in Orthodox
              Identity in India. While it might not have touched others who read
              it,it touched my heart so deeply the reason why I should share to you
              & hope we respond to it.

              "The Indian Orthodox Church needs to be contemporary, relevant and
              dynamic. For that it needs indigeneous thinking, self respect and self
              confidence--. If the Indian Orthodox Church believes in the supreme
              guiding power of the Holy Spirit, it can confidently acquire an
              identity that is relevant to its witness and existance in this
              country. It should be completly free from all external forces, either
              administrative, doctrinal, or traditional and be psychologically free
              to excercise its witness absorbing the tint, taste and smell of the
              Indian soil. Pioneering work done by V.C Samuel in revolutiming the
              meaningful Orthodox Church should inspire us."

              Yes,if Our faith is in God who is redeemer for all mankind, we
              as members of Indian Orthodox should respond accordingly, We could
              become Christian witnesses, not only in India but all over. But as
              achen says, we should have indegeneous thinking, self respect and self
              confidence. In the last post,I wrote about striking off the Supreme Head
              of the Church from our thoughts, Sunday schools texts as being
              Catholicose of the East, but God Almighty. Let us also be brave enough
              to take off from Our Consitution that Patriach of Antioch is the
              Spiritual Head of the Church, but put there God as the Spiritual Head
              of the Church.

              Let us stop finding and wasting energy now from loopholes in 1934
              constitution or Courts to gain some temporary gain over some
              disillutioned people, who have no self respect as Indians or
              Church, who follow a Patriach, though from the lineage of true
              Orthodoxy who should have come out to openly declare that
              Indian Orthodox Church existed from St. Thomas & Syrian
              Orthodox Church has been blessed with the opportunity to be
              associated with the Indian Church. Never the less, let us also keep
              the Patriach of Antioch among others, most of all our own
              Patriarch-Catholicose of the East in our prayers.

              Let us begin working for our own identity. I am encouraged how
              the Orthodox Church in America, which was originally founded
              as a mission and later became a diocese in the Orthodox Church of
              Russia and now a Autocephalous Church since 1970. If they could work
              to establish one of the finest Orthodox seminary-the St. Vladimir,
              why can't we continue again as a Church which has been in India from
              2000 years?

              Times have changed & we must rise up to present times not live also
              again in the past. It requires interaction with other Orthodox
              Churches. OCA to me seems a good start for ideas while we parallely
              develop our own identity as an Indian Church. In all interaction &
              dialogue, there should always utmost care also on making sure that
              our Faith not be tainted or a compromise ourselves as Indian Orthodox
              Church by emulating or copy catting without understanding. For it
              defenitely was this compromise with the Syrian orthodox Church that
              has hurt us a lot since then. Let us begin to say Never Again, Never
              again to men or any thing, but to GOD as from Indian Heritage &
              Orthodox Christian. It 's easy to shout and proclaim, but very
              difficult to practically follow & it's for this strength that we
              should pray to God & not shy away from the Challenges. Work has to
              begin as individuals, in homes,in our sunday schools,in our youth
              movements,in our Parishes, in our Dioceses, in our Seminaries,all over.

              Regards
              George Varghese
              Calgary,Canada

              P.S Sorry for the long post, but felt I can't cut short & hope you
              readers won't feel I have misused the privilege to share ideas.
            • revyohan....
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 2, 2002
                Hi Folks,

                The Indian Orthodox group is an interesting forum, but sometimes
                people misuse it, I have a feeling like that. we have to make use of
                this to impart valuable ideas, share knowledge, to uplift the
                orthodox spirit of our people etc.

                It is unorthodox to promote the potta type prayer among
                our people through this forum by the same person who belongs to the
                orthodox Church.Whoever makes use of this web-site,never try to sow
                the seeds of conroversy, please. God bless us all.

                Mrs. Elcy Yohannan Sankarathil
              • tmathew7.....
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 2, 2002
                  Dear Members,

                  As you know, recently a diocesan meeting was conducted in New York to discuss the future developments of our Diocese. In that meeting one issue was a possible split of the Northern and Southern regions of the American Diocese. We have heard from some of the members who attended the diocesan meeting that there was a memorandum, signed by 17 priests, submitted to His Grace Mathews Mar Barnabas at the Southern Regional Family Conference held in July 2002 at Dallas, Texas. It is clear that some of the priests from Southern Region are showing great interest in splitting the Diocese, but the views of the church members in this region were not heard. The church members of the Southern Region did not have any information about this movement, the memorandum, or the views of the other priests.

                  In my opinion, this Diocese is still in its infant stage and is not ready to be divided yet. We are not large enough to support and maintain a separate metropolitan and his office. The Southern area has two churches that have about 125 to 160 members, and the rest of the churches have about 25 to 80 members. My suggestion is that instead of dividing the diocese, make a transfer of all priests within the local area without hurting their family life. This change might be good; otherwise a split of the diocese will make us weak. We need to do a study of how many churches are in this diocese, how many members are in each church, how old each church is, and how long each priest has served in their respective churches. These results should be brought to a diocesan meeting where proper adjustments can be made by our bishop.

                  If there is anyone who has any information or any interest in this topic, please express your opinions in this forum.

                  With love and prayers,
                  Thomas Mathew
                  Dallas, Texas
                • George Varghese, Melbourne
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 3, 2002
                    Dear All,

                    A few people responded to the posting that brought up the
                    question "To Fear God or to Love Him". All of us agree that we
                    should love God more than anything else and that he loves us
                    like His children etc. But that doesn't explain the widespread
                    use of the description "God-fearing" to describe a believer in
                    our community. I recently went through the Matrimonial list in
                    one of the IOIF digests and out of the 10 listings, 8 were for
                    'God fearing' brides/grooms. None were for 'God loving' people.
                    THis seems to be a specific Christian attribute, more so in the
                    Malayalee community. I haven't seen it used in any other
                    religion. Are we believers because we are scared of the
                    repercussions of 'not believing'? Somebody responded and said
                    that people who had nothing to hide from God and loved Him had
                    no need to fear Him. So do these people listed in the
                    Matrimonial column and all others who are described as 'God
                    fearing' have something to hide then? Maybe 'God fearing' means
                    something else. Anyone that can throw some light on this? Also,
                    any reference from Christ's life about being 'God Fearing'?

                    Regards,
                    George Varghese
                    Melbourne.
                  • mark sadek
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 3, 2002
                      "Of all visible and invisible creation man alone is created dual. He has a
                      body composed of four elements, the senses and breath; and he has a soul,
                      invisible, unsubstantial, incorporeal joined to the body in an ineffable and
                      unknown manner; they interpenetrate and yet are not compounded, combine and
                      yet do not coalesce. This is what man is: an animal both mortal and immortal,
                      both visible and invisible, both sensory and intellectual, capable of seeing
                      the visible and knowing the invisible creation."

                      St. Symeon the New Theologian.

                      "Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade
                      itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is
                      not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in
                      the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures
                      all things." 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
                    • Samuel Thomas {samd.h}
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 4, 2002
                        Dear IOIF Members,

                        Most of the daily messages I read though there were several insertions I
                        thought of replying but I never reacted to any of these messages so far. In
                        the last message Digest 616 Mr.Roy Cheriyan mentioned about HG Late Dr.
                        Paulose Mar gregorios Tirumeni.

                        I got an oppertunity to interact very closly with HG from 1986 to 1993 all
                        most every day (if he is in Delhi) HG use to call me for one or another
                        matters. I heard some opionins from many of our members & even priests about
                        the rude behavior of HG. But unfortunately I am not in position to accept
                        these charges as I know HG very closely and find.

                        HG Dr. Paulose Mar Gregorios is a man of :-

                        ..........Man of Decipline
                        ..........Punctuality
                        ..........God fearing
                        ..........Strong Orthodox beliver
                        ..........Very Good Teacher
                        ..........Love
                        ..........Knowledge in Theology, Science & Technology, little politics
                        and the only internationaly recognised Indian Orthodoxian in the universe.

                        He is the pride of every Indian Orthodox Christians, his name is to be
                        remembered for ever.

                        yours in Christ,

                        Samuel Thomas.
                      • Fr. K. K. John
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 4, 2002
                          Dear moderators,

                          Thanks for the kind words, concerns and suggestions
                          about clergy appreciation month. If our faithful heed
                          to it, I have no doubt, our Church will be a paradise
                          on earth.

                          Johnachen.
                        • JOJY NINAN
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 4, 2002
                            Dear IOIF Members,

                            St. Thomas Orthodox Prayer Group, Kalkaji is one of the oldest Prayer Group
                            active in Delhi Diocese. It was before 25 years that, certain people living
                            in the Capital region came together and formed this prayer under the Name of
                            our Patrent Saint ST. THOMAS. From then on, every sunday evening people
                            started coming together forgetting their religious groupings ad working with
                            one aim. Many social works are being done for upliftment of all sections of
                            society regularly under this group. A yearly Gospel convention is conducted
                            by this prayer group successfully(by Grace of god) where all people
                            belonging to different regions, caste, creed an religion come together and
                            listen to word of God. This year's KALKAJI GOSPEL CONVENTION' is a special
                            treat as the prayer group is celebrating its SILVER JUBILEE with the
                            programme's as given under :-

                            KALKAJI GOSPEL CONVENTION AND SILVER JUBILEE CELEBRATION - 2002
                            From October. 04th to 06th, 2002

                            On October 04, 2002 - 7.00 P.M.

                            Welcome Speech : Rev. Fr. M.C. Paulose
                            (Vicar,St.Thomas Orthodox Church)
                            Convention Inauguration by : HIS GRACE JOB MAR PHILOXENOS
                            (Metropolitan, Delhi Diocese)
                            Gospel Speech : Rev. Fr. Saji Amyal (Maramon, Kerala)
                            On October 05, 2002 - 7.OO P.M.
                            Gospel Speech : Rev. Fr. Saji Amyal
                            On October 06, 2002 - 6.00 P.M.
                            Gospel Speech : Rev. Fr. Saji Amyal
                            7.00 p.m.
                            PUBILC MEETING (SILVER JUBILEE CELEBRATION)
                            Welcome Speech : Rev. Fr. M.C. PAULOSE
                            (Vicar, St.Thomas Orthodox Church)
                            Presidential Address : His Grace JOB MAR PHILOXENOS
                            (Metropolitan Delhi Orthodox)
                            Felicitations : Rev. P.A. PHILIP
                            (Vicar, Mar Geogorios Orthodox Church,
                            Janakpuri)
                            Rev. Fr. Sebastian Vadakumpadam(Chaplain)
                            (Syro Malabar Catholics-Delhi Arch Diocese
                            Rev. Saby Koshy
                            (Vicar, Bethel Mar Thoma Church, GK-III)
                            Vote of Thanks : MR. JOLLY MATHEW
                            (Secretary, Prayer Group)

                            Prayer & Benediction.

                            We request all your kind co-operation and prayer for conducting this
                            celebrations successfully.

                            We invite you all to be a witness of this great occassion.
                            with regards,
                            Jojy Ninan.
                            New Delhi.
                          • Thomas A, C., Mysore
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 4, 2002
                              Hello Everybody,
                              I want to thank everybody in this
                              group for remembering my Dad in your prayers.
                              By the Grace of our Lord Jesus,his Surgery went on
                              well and Doctors were successful in removing the block
                              from his valve.
                              Thanks Again.
                              With Lots of Love and Prayers,
                              Thomas.A.C
                              Mysore
                            • mathew B
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 5, 2002
                                KOCHI: The Jacobite faction of the Malankara Syrian
                                Church has expressed concern over the lack of response
                                from the rival orthodox faction for conciliation,
                                initiated by several organisations to restore peace in
                                the church.

                                Jacobite Church Catholicos Baselios Thomas-I told a
                                news conference here on Friday that mediators led by
                                noted Jurist V.R. Krishna Iyer had several rounds
                                of talks with his church leaders in this regard. But
                                he regretted that the orthodox faction was yet to
                                respond to the mediatory efforts.

                                The Catholicos said any reasonable settlement proposed
                                by the mediators would be acceptable to the Jacobite
                                church as it wanted lasting peace in the church.

                                www.newindpress.com (Kerala Section, 5th October 2002)
                              • Saji M Idicula
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 6, 2002
                                  We wish H.G. Geevarghese Mar Coorilos Metropolitan a Blessed, Happy Birthday.

                                  Today �the 7th October is the birthday of H.G. Mar Coorilos, an exalted and veritable tower of knowledge of today. H G. is the Metropolitan of Mumbai Diocese, Bishop Vice President of MGOCSM, One of the Patrons of SGOS, President of NCCI as well as MCCI and the youngest of all the Metropolitans of the Holy Church.

                                  Let us all join together to wish a very happy and blessed Birthday to our beloved Thirumeni and to pray for all sorts of blessings upon Thirumeni and His activities.

                                  A short glimpse of the biography of H.G. Mar Coorilos is given hereunder as a tribute and a birthday present to our beloved Thirumeni from St. Gregorios Orthodox Society.

                                  His Grace Mar Coorilos was born to P.K. Kurian, Puliyeril, Kollad, Kottayam and Mary Kurian, Kizhakkedathu Mamkoottathil, Makkamkunnu Pathanamthitta on 7th Oct. 1949. He was affectionately called George Kutty. He had his primary education at St. Andrews LP School, where his father was the Manager later. M.T. Seminary High School, Kottayam was the venue of his High School education. He further joined C.M.S. College, Kottayam, and later the Orthodox Theological Seminary, Kottayam and graduated in Sacred Theology. He had his B.A degree from Calicut University and B.D. degree from Serampore University. He had his M.A degree from Sri Venkideswara University. While serving St. Gregorios Orthodox Parish in London as it�s Vicar, he took Post Graduate Diploma in Pastoral Theology from Heythrop College, London University and PG Diploma in Theology and Mission from Urban Theology Unit, Sheffield, U.K.

                                  During his school days he was active in studies and excelled in extra curricular activities especially elocution, drama, Mono act. He was the first prize winner for Mono act competition during the Bala Jana Sakhyam annual camps for three years consecutively. He had a flair for acting humerous roles, but many of the memorable roles are of the heroines. He had held many responsible positions of Sunday school, Youth Movement, MGOCSM, Bala Jana Sakhyam etc and having attractive behaviour and exemplary character, he had shined everywhere. In those days, he has secured so many prizes and awards for these activities. For the Sunday school studies he was very keen and enthusiastic and hence he was the affectionate of his teachers. When the Parish priest asked him to serve the Altar, he was not very willing at first; still his younger brother�s enthusiasm compelled him to take up the task. In the young age he was also naughty like other smart and intelligent children, still he was highly talented in preserving the purity of mind and body in everything inside and outside. He utilized the time for systematic life with prayer and meditation without the notice of others. In the young age also he was highly interested in helping his parents in their assignments.

                                  He was ordained as Sub Deacon on 26th Dec.�70 and full deacon on 26th Dec.�74 by H.G. Dr. Mathews Mar Athanasios Metropolitan (later H.H. Moran Mar Baselios Marthoma Mathews II, Catholicose) He was ordained as priest by H.G. Dr. Philipose Mar Theophilus Metropolitan on 21st Dec �75. From that day, he is well known as Rev.Fr. George Kurian. Fr. George Kurian served MGOCM as Asst Director and warden of the Student centers at Kottayam and Trivandrum during 75-80 and as the General Secretary from 80-86. While the young Deacon started serving the Movement, H.G. Dr. Philipose Mar Theophilus Metropolitan, a class mate and well wisher of his father was the President of MGOCSM. He enjoyed a sort of fatherly affection from H.G. Dr. Theophilus Thirumeni from the very beginning till the last days of H.G. Dr. Mar Theophilus Thirumeni. H.G. Mar Coorilos also enjoyed that period by serving the great Scholar and own predecessor like a beloved son. Achievements of the Student Movement during his service are numerous and marvelous.

                                  Fr. George Kurian has served St. Gregorios Orthodox Church, London for about two years (during 86-88), which is the only Parish where he has served as the vicar. It was a venue for him, to be active in the field of inter-church dialogues, with oriental Orthodox and Byzantine orthodox churches, as well as with other non-Orthodox Churches. In this field, His Grace is an authority now and he is the present Ambassador of Malankara Orthodox Church. During the stay at London and later, he visited so many monasteries and ancient churches all over Europe. His Grace has attended a number of international conferences, dialogues and Seminars and has extended leadership for many forums. His Grace could raise the voice of Malankara Orthodox Church in those programs.

                                  So far, he could serve as the Member of the Mission Board, Editorial board- Orthodox Youth, Small scale project fund, Andhra Pradesh Relief fund, Marriage assistance Foundation, Sick Aid Foundation, Christu Sishya Ashram, Coimbatore. Presently he is the President of NCCI, MCCI, Gregorian Community and Gateway. He is the member of the Governing board of CASA, CMAI and Council board CMC. He was one of the leaders of the Dialogue between the Oriental Orthodox Church and Anglican Church, Youth DPT of KCC and NCCI. He is the Chairperson of the commission on Byzetntine and Oriental Churches and he was the Chief organizer of Syndesmos Assembly in Effingham, UK, and Group leader of the VIth Assembly of WCC, at Vancouver, Canada, Oriental Clergy Fellowship in U.K. and Middle East priests Conference at Cyprus etc. He has visited almost all countries of the world except a few countries in Far East and Australia. In a short span of time, there won�t be another Bishop of our Church who has traveled so widely and so often. These visits have added a great wealth of knowledge in him.

                                  He was elevated as a Heiromonk � Ramban on 31st March 90 by H.H. Moran Mar Baselios Marthoma Mathews I, Catholicose. In those days he was known as V.Rev. Geevarghese Ramban and he was consecrated by His Holiness Moran Mar Baselios Marthoma Mathews II, the Catholicose on 30th April 91. From this date His Grace was serving as the Asst Metropolitan of Mumbai Diocese. On 27th Sept. 2002, he was elevated as the Metropolitan during the Sunthroneeso service at Devalokam and on 2nd Oct at Vashi Diocesan Head Quarters by H.H. Moran Mar Baselios Marthoma Mathews II Catholicose.

                                  A report of the News paper interview published in Kala Kaumudi from Bombay is quoted here.

                                  �Q � Thirumeni! Can you tell about your priest hood?

                                  A- I never longed to be a priest even. When my elder and younger brothers were Altar Assistants I was first reluctant. Later only, I joined them in serving the Altar. That is how I came to the first step of priesthood.

                                  Q- No body had encouraged?

                                  A- No one had encouraged. But Mr. C.V. Titus Chempakasseril, was instrumental in seeking admission in Orthodox Theological Seminary soon after the pre-degree studies. He was a friend of my father. An unexpected Scooter accident, which was so serious also, happened to be a reason to be nominated as a Bishop. When the accident took place, all my relatives as well as others feared an early death or a permanent handicap. But God released me from the grip of death miraculously. I was bedridden for about for about six months.

                                  Q- had you longed to be a Bishop?

                                  A- Not really. But I had longed to have Monasteries and convents with energetic and service minded youngsters for social reformations. But God�s will was like this and I happened to be a Bishop. But the old desire and dream is still evergreen in the mind

                                  Q- while being a Bishop, can you not do something for the social reformations?

                                  A- Yes. But I will not get time for full time work. Already we have started the program of �Gregorian Community� with the motto, �worship, study and service� in Roha about 120 kms away from Mumbai City. It is close to the Konkan Railway line. There we have acquired about 60 acres of land so that the project could be a self sufficient from the income of the proposed agricultural/farm units. It is intended to attract young people in large numbers to have their attached community lives for their spiritual, emotional, psychological and intellectual betterment. A number of schemes are envisaged for the betterment of the local tribal people as well as others in health care schooling, etc. Meditation centers, Halls for inter denominational, inter churches and inter religious dialogues and studies etc. are also under our aim. Recently all the Bishops assembled at Bishop�s House, Vashi and decided to take immediate action to provide housing facilities for the roadside inhabitants in Dharavi area and as a result it was implemented. In Bombay city, we are planning to erect a hospital for the poor and needy.�

                                  H.G. Mar Coorilos is very beloved to every one especially the youngsters who would get a chance to meet him/talk to him/or listen him. In all places of his jurisdiction, people of all walks of life irrespective of caste, creed and colour, around the churches and institutions, do appreciate his novel leadership and services. Recently, when there were public meetings in different parts of Mumbai, in honour of H.H. the Catholicose, lay leaders of social services and political activists belonging to different religions and faiths appreciated Thirumeni�s efficient leadership in the social activities. The services, which are rendered by him after taking over the charge of President of the NCCI, are well appreciated by the member churches as well as the other organizations and Governmental agencies. The dialogue between NCCI and VHP leaders and later with Sikh leaders is highly commendable. His Grace is optimistic about the harmony among the Indian religions.

                                  May God Almighty strengthen his arms to work more and more effectively. May God grant His Grace long life with happiness, peace and good health in addition to all other blessings. May God strengthen our beloved Thirumeni to lead and guide the Holy Church in more and more responsible positions in the future. Our sincere felicitations are hereby offered to His Grace. Once again, let us all join together to wish a very happy and blessed Birthday to our beloved Thirumeni and to pray for all sorts of blessings upon Thirumeni and His activities.