First Property...

  • P Samuel Mathew, Sharjah {mps1.h}
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2002
      Dearly beloved,

      This is in reply to Mr. Ronnie Daniel�s letter dated 20 September 02 titled
      �FIRST PEOPLE, THEN PROPERTY�.
      Mr. Ronnie Daniel very well tried to educate the readers how a parish is
      being born. In my opinion it was only one side of the fact and need to be
      corrected. He missed the essence.
      No doubt, people spent money to build the church. It�s also true that
      wherever our people go they assemble for a prayer meeting and sooner the
      church become a reality.
      As far as I know, once the head of the church consecrate the church building
      he is consecrating the church for the Church itself. If supreme head is the
      chief celebrant he then hand over the keys of the church building to the
      Diocesan Bishop and the Bishop to the vicar and the vicar hand over to the
      elected Trustee hoping that anytime the same must return to him as it
      warrants.

      Mr. Ronnie Daniel mentioned about the democratically elected committee or
      administration, could you say the 1934 Malankara Constitution is applied
      there? Do the parish receives and read the time-to-time Kalpana from the
      Diocesan Bishop and Supreme Head?
      Again, �the relationship of the Diocese or Bishop with that new parish is in
      the form of providing a priest or other ecclesiastical services in return
      for a remuneration. This no more than a kind of �AFFILLIATION� which could
      be changed�� Mr. Ronnie Daniel can further clarify what does this mean? I
      have no clue and never heard in my life such an arrangement!

      P.S.Mathew
      Sharjah
    • Jacob P. Varghese, Sharjah {jco.e}
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30, 2002
        Dr. Cherian Eapen asked, Can anyone give the definition of a Saint? I hope
        these pieces of definition may suffice.

        A saint is one in whom Christ lives, one who opens his life to Christ and
        lives as Christ, wills him to live.

        Saints are those who by their active faith and love, have become like God
        and show forth the image of God in its power, those who have obtained for
        themselves abundant grace.

        The saints are those who, having advanced closer to the goal of theosis
        (becoming like God in Christ), can help the rest of us through their example
        and prayers. A saint is one who has been made actually what Baptism declares
        him to be, one set apart for God. These are Saints with a capital "S," those
        officially canonized by the Church. "It is no longer I who lives, but Christ
        lives in me".

        There are saints" with a small "s," all baptized and committed Christians.
        Made in the image of God and baptized in the Holy Trinity, every Christian
        has the potential of sainthood and is called by God to be a saint. St. Paul
        wrote the Corinthians saying, "To the church of God which is at Corinth, to
        those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints..." (1
        Corinthians 1: 2). These men and women were ones "called to be saints." They
        heard, believed and were baptized (Acts 18:1, 8). Thus, they were set apart,
        sanctified, in Christ Jesus.

        Jacob P. Varghese
        Sharjah
      • Cicily Sunny
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30, 2002
          Dear Mr.Jose Kurian:
          Thank you for expressing your respect for the Holy Eucharist and
          concern for St.Paul. I am not sure if you read the whole article. I
          mentioned about paying the priests and St. Paul accepting donations only in a
          very positive way. I was trying to defend gospel workers who accept
          donations in the sense that as they work hard for God and do not have
          another income from job, it is OK to accept donations. I was not
          criticizing priests and St.Paul. I did not mean to disrespect Holy
          Eucharist either. I am fully aware of the missionary works of St.Paul,who
          underwent hardships out of true love for Jesus. Personally speaking, that is
          the kind of love I have for Jesus too, though not perfect.

          Your posting made me think about paying the priests, even if I had no
          plan of writing about it. I know one priest who has a decent job and who
          does not accept any remuneration for being the vicar of the church. I have
          great appreciation for him because I see him as the true dedicated servant
          of God. Several times I thought that if I was a priest, I would not have
          taken any remuneration for doing the services. Why I think like that is
          that going to church on Sundays is very important for me. Becoming a priest
          does not make much difference to me other than that I am celebrating the
          Holy Eucharist and the people are participating it. I will go to church any
          way. So why should I take money? Nobody please take it as a criticism on
          priests. I have no intention for that. I just wanted to share my thoughts
          with you that just clicked my mind. Thank you.

          Cicily Sunny
        • Mr.Thomas.T.B,. Mehsana
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 30, 2002
            Dear Brothers in Christ,

            First of all I would like to introduce myself . I am secretary of Kalol (North Gujarat) St. George Orthodox church/Congregation since last 6 years and President of Kalol Christian Fellowship, Kalol (ng) last two years. I and my wife both are from Orthodox Churches.

            We don't think that mircles are not happening in our churches. In the year 1993 my wife became totally paralysed and taken medicines from different hospitals. It has taken months to understand the reason behind the paralysis. Our HG Gheevarghese Mar Coorilos Thirumani was also visited the hospital and prayed for her. Daily the pastors of different congregations, Mehsana, Kalol, Sabarmati were visited and prayed for her. At last it was understood that a mass was developing in between backbone and heart. Special prayers were held in different congregations. After cutting the backbone, the mass has been removed and after about 6-12 months physiotherapy, she started normal life. After that with the grace of God we have one son, he is now 7 years old. Mehsana, Kalol, Ahmedabad people are knowing this matter.

            Secondly when I was working with a Private Limited Co. all of a sudden the owner of the Company asked me to give immediate resignation due to the reason beyond my control. I was with my family in a rented house and was only one income, just for living. That night I and with my wife prayed with tears,( I was praying with tears first time in my life.) With the grace of God the next day I attended a long pending interview call , and they have appointed me with better salary and 15 days salary in advance to pay to the ex.employer by cash, GLORY TO GOD.

            When my elder son was with loose-motion, the doctor told me there is no other medicine other than what he prescribed, the intake water was flowing immediately within a minute, and minutes after minutes he became pale and lost the hope, I and my wife prayed and all of a sudden (with no time) the condition started improving.

            Other than above in many occasions, in my life, in various financial matters, I found HIS presence.

            Likewise my brother Mr. Raju B, Mehsana is having hundreds of experience in his life.

            DO BELIEVE IN GOD, HE IS HAVING ALL POWERS, PUT ALL YOUR BURDONS ON HIM.

            Yours in Christ,

            THOMAS TB
          • George Varghese, Canada
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
              In a parish many a time, the priorities are not proper.To better
              relate here was a situation recently in a parish.

              After Holy Mass Vicar announced the following

              1)Finance is required for the "Kurusu perunal ''
              2)The condition of " Kurishadi" at X.....junction is very bad.
              It is a shame to all of us.So we have to renovate the same
              urgently.
              3)An application was received for financial help to one poor
              family from the parish for a heart surgery.

              Heated arguments took place between A class,B class C class members.
              An large offer of Rs.Z was received for the construction work.
              Decision of "Kurusu perunal" is postponed for the next week.
              No body was interested in the third issue.......

              So what should be the parish priority?

              Regards

              George Varghese
              Calgary,Canada

              p.s I post this not to hurt any one, but just to make us aware
              of the responsibility & priorities in parishes of Indian Orthodox
              Church,be we in Canada,U.S.A,Middle East, India or any other place.