Re: Onam Celebration In Our Church

  • Anney Johnson
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2013

      We need to do some fun activities too. No one can always pray or do charitable deeds. One could of course pray to get a prize at the pookalam competition.

      Anney johnson, New York

    • jose
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2013

        I agree with Ms.Anney Johnson, (Msg # )  there must be some fun activity  in our church and prayer only is not enough.

        Onam is a traditional Kerala festival observed by majority cutting across caste/religion. Nobody should object Orthodox Church members celebrating Onam along with other community. When the celebration becomes a part of our Sunday/Friday service, then care must be taken. Awareness to be given so that youngsters should not mistake it as another ‘Perunal’, remembering ‘Mahabali’.

        Likewise, making special area in the H.Madbaha and doing Nadathurakkal is deplorable.

        Announcing in the church by priests and displaying notice to bring children on ‘Vijayadasami’ day between so and so time ,the most auspicious day, to start ‘Vidyarambam’ gives a very wrong message to believers. It is against the teachings of many of our late lamented bishops who taught not to observe ‘Raaghukalam” , ‘Muhoortham’. For us Vijayadasami day is like any other day. Our Lord is the one who makes a day great or Holy. Sanctifying a day devoted to a Hindu deity is not correct to my conviction learned from our fathers in the church. It took several decades for our church to weed out many wrong traditions/practices followed in some of our  churches. Going back to what we discarded  is dreadful.

        For the personal benefit of some, the Orthodox church’s teaching is being getting polluted. I wanted to protest loudly in my church where announcement is been made during the service and campaign is been organized by ‘spiritual organization’ to canvass parents. I am restraining myself and trying to be satisfied with a letter to ICON.

        The silence of Bishops/ Holy Synod annoys me. May be it is easy to preach gospels to the laity but to the mighty priests.???.  Who will bell the cat? Or will a Nehemiah rise again , saying “Let us rise and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem, so that we may no longer suffer disgrace”.

        May God be with us.

        Jose John Attatharayil

        Dubai.