RE: RE: Re: Business or Faith?

  • pa64in
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013

      Previous to 1974, there was no such “event" as Nada thurakkal. The "event" had been introduced later with the sole purpose to maximize earnings, so that a large crowd is attracted on such days.

      Rgds,

      Philip Abraham,

      Riyadh.

      --- In IndianOrthodox@yahoogroups.com, <indianorthodox@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

       Did bawa kakshi introduced Nada thurakkal in Manarkad  Church after capturing it in 1974?

      George C. Thomas

      --- In IndianOrthodox@yahoogroups.com, <indianorthodox@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Dear Friends,

      Nada Thurackal is a practice we have inherited from our Hindu heritage. The 8 day lent was introduced into our church when we became Catholics between the Synod at Udayamperoor and the Oath at Koonan Kurisu. Commercialization of saints and festivals is a recent phenomenon.

      Regards,

      Cdr. Ninan P Mathai IN (Retd)
      Mumbai

    • abcjacob
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 19, 2013

        Does "Nada Thurakkal" amount to being idol worship, which the God commanded; should not be a practice for His people?

        "Nada Thurakkal" is a common practice in Hindu temples, where the deity or idol is made open for the devotees to pay homage or worship; just as it is done in Manarcaud. Temples have specific daily times at which "Nada Thurakkal" is done.  We Christians, call this idol worship, because in our opinion, the devotees are paying homage to a non-living, man made piece of object. If that is the case, does a man made piece of object which we think is in the 2D or 3D image of the Holy Mary qualify to be a "non idol"?

        Regards,

        Abey Jacob, Bangalore.

      • ES John
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 21, 2013

          Dear Mr.Abey Jacob,

          The first Mosaic commandment is to worship God; the 2nd one to disallow the worship of the Devil that appear in many forms in our everyday life, including making and paying homage to the molten image. Any deification other than attributing Divinity to God is a sacrilege. There was no image worship during the period of 'yregu veda', but later condescended down to idol worship, the sign of the deterioration of human worship culture. ONAM that has a deity and was barred in our spiritual life till yesterday, but the survival technology of today simmered by the money culture is abominable. Loving our own children in excess is an idol worship. I am flabbergasted at the sight of our spiritual hierarchy that borrowed this deification in our spiritual arena is a sign of the Lord's coming, Lk.18: 8. Even clerical hierarchy of our church sending 'onashamkal' with 'athapuvidil and many other pictures is the sign of flowering a new heaven and new earth of devil on this plane. It is not business, but an industry. Believers, shudder and wail.

          Our churches are electrified inside and outside with the image of the Mother of God is a sacrilege. Even placing portrait of unseen saints inside the church is abominable. Portraits, Icons, statues were not a practice to start of with, though catacomb drawings can be attributed to the seen or unseen saints. The serpent image in the wilderness journey and the cherubs of the OT Temple are all exceptions that are commanded by God.

          E.S.John, Australia

          .
        • Ninan Mathai
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 22, 2013

            Dear friends,

            The latest issue of Malankara Sabha, the official publication of our church, has an article on the arrival of 8 day lent. It states that the lent period was 1 to 8 of Kanni month. This lent was mainly observed by women and that they fasted and lived in the church for 8 days. There was Qurbana every day. This practice was in our church even before the Portuguese invasion ie. when we were following the practices of the Nestorian Persian Church. The Catholics did not have an eight day lent prior to the birthday of Saint Mary. They only celebrated her birthday.

            It also is evident that the Nestorians celebrated St Mary's birthday. They called her Mother of Christ, rather than Mother of God.

            Regards,

            Cdr Ninan P Mathai IN (Retd)
            Mumbai

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 28, 2013

              Dear All,

              In Mr. ES John's posting, he explains about a few other practices in our church, which can be considered as non Christian.  I think we need to make a distinction between NadaThurakkal and the other practices which Mr.John mentions.

              NadaThurakkal is a clear case of idol worship where this procedure is conducted as part of the spriritual prayer, and is performed right there inside the alter with the atmosphere filled with the prayers of the believers. This is exactly what happens in the Hindu temples also, during the NadaThurakkal.  So either both of them qualify for idol worship or none of them qualify for idol worship. It cannot be that one qualifies and the other do not qualify. If  what I say is correct, that which happens in Manarcaud is a greatly serious offense against the very core of Christian belief.

              As far as I understand, the other main points, which Mr. John mentions, are less serious and are debatable  as to whether they may be good or not. For example, Onam is never celebrated as a spiritual program in the church.It is only a social celebration of the malayalee community who happen to be the members of the church and it is never accompanied by any sort of prayer. As far as icons and portraits in the church are concerned, I guess there are much more knowledgeable members in this forum than me to explain whether they are in line with the Christian practices or not.

              Regards,
              Abey Jacob, Bangalore.

            • philip abraham
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 29, 2013
                "NadaThurakkal, Manarcaud Amma etc etc'" are all commercialization terms used to attract and earn extra revenues from our Hindu brethren. So also is Urulu seve,  Vechootu, Kodimaram ezunallathu/ Ideel,  Capronised elephants carrying the photos of saints during Perunal etc etc…………… are all done to attract crowds and increase revenue.

                Rgds,

                Philip Abraham,
                Riyadh.