8nomb/ the great nomb popularized by laity

  • jins nediyavila
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 14, 2013

      From my schooling my mother compell me to fast n pray on 1-8septmbr.
      During my teens I realize that this Nomb not in the canannized nombs,so i became a rebel among family on this issue.
      But now in my Youth I feel luky n regret my teen days n observe this nomb.
      Most of the Orthodox churches nowadays celebrate this days as holy as passion week.Most of the bishops are also participate in this Nomb.
         So this be my Question WY THIS NOMB DOESNOT CANANIZED.
      Is my question is relavant? if yes pls discuss.......

    • shajithundiyl
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 15, 2013

        Dear brother Jins

        I am just giving a simple answer to this 8 day lent.

        We do celebrate only one birthday as Orthodox that is. Only of our Lord Jesus. Which means we should have Christ born within us with Eldo Lent.

        September 8 is considered as the birthday of Mother Mary, so this is not canonized in our Lents.

        In prayer

        Shaji Vallamkulam

      • Eldho Joseph
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 17, 2013
          I have noted the concern of Mr. Jins Nediyavila and a nice response of Mr. Shaji Philip. The question that Mr. Jins raised cannot be answered directly.

          According to available sources, at least from 8thcentury onwards the St. Thomas Christians or the Kerala Christians were following East Syrian traditions of the Church in Persia till the arrival of Portuguese. In 1599, according to the decisions of the Synod of Diamper (Udayamperoor), the Church was brought under Roman yoke and their traditions and practices prevailed till ‘Coonan Cross Oath’ in 1653. The Church declared her freedom in 1653 and due to reasons prevalent at that time, Marthoma I established connection with the West Syrian Church. The first bishop, Abdul Jaleel Mar Gregorios, reached Kerala in 1665 and then onwards the Kerala Christians followed the West Syrian traditions.

          Now, because of the influence of Persia, Rome and West Syria, the Kerala Church has a mixed culture of all these Churches and the native culture. So all rituals and practices of the said Churches and regional beliefs can be seen in the present day Orthodox Church. Nobody tried to study this matter seriously and day-by-day new practices are entering the Church and corrupting it.

          Coming to Mr. Jins’ question, observing the birthday of any saint is not Orthodoxy as Mr. Shaji Philip mentioned. Orthodoxy believes that no human takes birth as saints; her/his deeds in the world only make her/him saint. Therefore the birth date has no importance, but the death date of a saint is observed with reverence. However, Roman Church believes in the immaculate (birth without sin) concept of St. Mary. Therefore, for them, the celebration of St. Mary’s birthday is important and they do it. This practice entered in our Church during their dominion (1599-1653). Though, from 1665 onwards we followed the West Syrian traditions, this practice continued in some parts of Kerala. Manarkad church is the centre of such practice because for long time this church was under Roman faith. It is believed that Manarkad church has come back to Orthodoxy in 1701 along with Puthuppally church protesting an appointment of a bishop in the Roman Church; they continued their earlier practices even after their coming back. It is not the practice of West Syrian Church to observe 8-day lent and to keep icons in the church. A story is there that one of the Syrian Patriarchs who visited Manarkad church asked to remove St. Mary’s photo from the church, but the laity did not agree to his instruction. The fervor of strong Patriarch supporters was so strong in this matter to disobey their Church Head.

          In the modern days it has become a fashion to imitate everything that is seen around. Nobody, including the clergy, is bothered whether it adversely affects the faith and tradition of the church (except in speech). The wedding ceremony, baptism, burial – all have a vulgar look that is approved by the clergy. Videographers and Event Managers are dominating. The celebrants act as spectators and want to be there in the video/photo, “Ortho Doxy’ is forgotten. The essence and divinity of the sacraments are lost. Whatever the laity is interested is the interest of the clergy. They do not want to eradicate unwanted precedence and wrong practices; sometimes they promote it. If the clergy disagree, the 'faithful' will not allow them to enter the church. Dead fish flows with the water! If anyone points out a wrong practice, she/he will be attacked collectively by false teachers/faithful.

          In this particular case, the Church cannot canonize the 8-day lent since it is against the doctrines of Orthodoxy; or they have to redefine Orthodoxy. But the laymen want it because of the propaganda about the abundant blessings. The clergy is compromising as they do in other faith related matters. It is a good sign that some priest are there in the Church who are courageous enough to teach their folk. ‘Fasting and Prayer’ are the strong weapons of the Christian to fight evil. But if our deeds are against ourteachings, it is unfair and not Orthodoxy.

          Dr. Eldho Joseph
          St. Dionysius Orthodox Church
          Al Ain, UAE.
        • AbyPaul
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 20, 2013

            In the modern days it has become a fashion to imitate everything that is seen around. Nobody, including the clergy, is bothered whether it adversely affects the faith and tradition of the church (except in speeches). "He who can does it; he who cannot preaches".

            The new comer among these practices is the celebration of Onam. We know that Onam is a festival of Kerala but what has that to do with church is some thing I don't understand. Don't be surprised when we see inter mediatory prayers to mahavishnu/mahabali in the near future. Onam is becoming a part of our church practices (at least in our churches oversees) recently.

            Aby Paul

          • Babu Thomas
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 22, 2013
              This year  " Atha poo kalam" was seen arranged  right in front of the main door to the chapel at St.Gregorios Medical Mission Hospital, Parumala!.... for Mahabali to be happy when he visits the hospital!!

              Some time back, I wrote about this detestable practice of 'Nada thurackal' at Manarcadu church ( of course , I know the church does not belong to our " GROUP"!) ; but it never appeared in ICON. To which direction are we moving ,Church ?

              Dr. Babu Thomas
            • ES John
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 22, 2013
                Dear Mr.Shaji,

                Should the flock take over the role of the shepherd during this digital age of affluence? Yes, it has come to that stage, which is a green signal  of the apocalyptic age or the digital era that allow only money flow, not the pure water, and talk. Nothing can stand against Mammon who is the sole ruler of the doomsday culture. The clerical hierarchy that treat the devoted laity as mere scum of the earth won't listen to our plea. They still teach and preach that we celebrate the birthday of St.Mary and John the Baptist, despite many have been writing for ages that we adore the name of Jesus by celebrating the annunciation day on March 25th, 9 months before the Incarnation of the WORD took His birth and in June, no birthday that we don't know, for remembering Jesus who took His birth only after 6 months of the herald, the reason for remembering their names, not birthdays, in the beginning of every liturgy as " Mary who bore thee and John who baptized thee".

                If you like to have a good name and peace of mind, you must be a satellite of at least one shepherd and some priests, otherwise our laity faithful that dance to the tune of the clergy will destroy you. Just as the modern children have freedom and rights as the parents, our clergy also has the freedom in not obeying the church but only paying homage to their immediate superiors because there are millions of biblical verses to mesmerise the vulnerable and the marginalised ones. Most of our village parishes are swarmed by a shepherd at least every day of the 8 days in appeasing the Mother of God, whereas the the widow, St.Mary, asking for mercy to the church hierarchy continually to keep the sanctimonious faith, as in the parable, Lk.18: 1-8. when Christ was explaining the apocalyptic times, this parable was told to remind the work style of the clergy of the evil age.

                E.S.John, Australia

              • ES John
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 25, 2013

                  Dear Dr.Babu Thomas,

                  All these faith adulterations are precipitated by the ignorant and irreligious laity that try to stamp their name and fame and authority in the parish/church community from where they spread their tentacles into the wider community due to an open and free global community. I have written 2 chapters in my books that 'Maveli' is the shortened form of 'Mahabali', Jesus, so that they could keep their faithful under their control by creating a parallel deity that allegedly ruled Mavelinad once. This is in parallel with Jesus', Mahabali, 2nd coming and take the faithful in PARADISE. Read carefully the heralding song of welcoming Maveli. 'Maveli nad vanidum kalam manusharellam onnupol......".

                  When Mahabali rules us all human beings are equal......". This stage happens only in Paradise, not on this sordid and treacherous earth, after the redemption. The Hindus found a new myth and its celebration, so as to repel their flock from Kerala Christianity that is not prevalent anywhere in Hindu India, because our state is the stronghold of Christianity in India, the reason for celebrating ONAM only in our State.

                  Everything will be reversed during the period of Kaliyuga as explained by the Hindu depiction. What a tragedy that we are borrowing their myth at the end of the time, so as to appease them and survive. For more details read either my Malayalam or English book. Even if Write volumes together, our clergy will support only what the ignorant laity want, so also about 8 nomb, and other unnecessary appendages that we added on to our worship lately. It seems that Jesus had no aesthetic sense in running after the cultural programmes and the sense of sweet odour of Nature, the reason for not appearing any flower in our worship till a decade back. One of our Bishops of international repute has written a book that glorify the dead or live flower on our Altar. Once I went to Devalokam and standing by the side of a big crowd, I SAW A BOUQUET of flowers on the Altar. Later on when I moved inside, I counted 12 of them, one each representing an apostle. This is how I become a misfit in the high-tech society. I don't know when we place rice, coconut, etc, on our Altar. A metropolitan or a priest is not our goal. The referred article in Malankara Sabha and is quoted in today's ICON is another bomb that will distract the faith adherents because of interpretation that lead to misinterpretation.

                  However, nothing is possible in this stone age of digital technology that is ripe for exhibiting one's freedom of individualism, perverseness, militancy and radicalism. We don't have any qualm in copying any filth from outside. Beware that Orthodox Christianity an endangered species that is at its death throe; unless we strive to uphold it, it already has found its eclipse. Only remedy is the Head of the church thrash the clergy with Aaron's staff and the clergy thrash the laity with Moses' rod, provided  they have enough strength, commitment and courage to bell the cat. I believe that they can still do it, if the Pontiff can write a Kalpana that no one is allowed to move a stone in the church/parish without a written Kalpana. No other church loses anything because the Orthodox species is the only centrist church.

                  E.S.John, Australia