Re: No Correction Needed In The English Version Of Nicene Creed

  • Nakkolackal VL Eapen
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2013
      K. K. John Achen, Philadelphia wrote: "So I sincerely appeal to all to correct the books to read 'through', instead of 'by', and print only 'through' in future."

      Respected Achen's above appeal is not only perfunctory, but misleading as well. What Achen has appealed for is NOT correction, but merely an alteration from 'by' to 'through' for its own sake.

      The truth of the matter is that the prepositions - 'by' and 'through' - are contextually interchangeable as they are EQUALLY correct and appropriate in conveying the same idea in all its fullness. It is misleading to suggest that 'through' alone is the correct preposition, and 'through' is to be preferred to the incorrect preposition 'by'. That is sheer falsehood.

      'God spoke to us by/through the prophets,' simply means that He did not speak by Himself directly to us as at Mount Sinai, but spoke BY/THROUGH the prophets. Regardless of the preposition used, the idea conveyed is factually the same as above. That is why we read in the Revised Standard Version of the Holy Bible as follows: "... ... ... God spoke of old to our fathers BY the prophets; but in these last days He has spoken to us BY a Son ... ... ..." (Heb. 1:1-2) It is obvious that 'BY' is an acceptable valid alternative to 'THROUGH', and that the respected Achen's suggested correction is NO correction at all, but a suggested alteration just for the sake of alteration.

      In conclusion, I solemnly reiterate that 'Who (the Holy Spirit) spoke BY the prophets and the Apostles' is as much correct and acceptable as 'Who (the Holy Spirit) spoke THROUGH the prophets and the Apostles'. It would be superfluous to alter the former to the latter or the latter to the former for no good reason since the former and the latter are BOTH correct. My considered view is to leave the current English version of Nicene Creed in the MOSC, as it is, without any further unnecessary change.

      Prayerfully,
      Nakkolackal V. L. Eapen, St. Gregorios Orthodox Church, Austin, TX.