OCYM UAE Zone Raises 50 Lakh Rupees for the Construction of St. Dionysius Church in Al Ain

  • Manoj Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 23, 2013
      Al Ain: The seven Orthodox Christian Youth Movement Units in the UAE raised
      an amount of 50 lakh rupees (AED 313,613) to support the construction of a
      church in Al Ain in memory of St. Dionysius , the beloved Vattasseril
      thirumeni. With superb organizational skills, the seven units worked
      together as one to organize a fundraising concert “SNEHAPRAVAHAM” featuring
      talented singer Vijay Yesudas and the community’s own classically inclined
      Fr.Dr. M.P. George, director of the Shruti School of Liturgical music along
      with other well-known artistes such as Kalabhavan Prajod and singer Joby of
      Idea Star Singer fame. The variety show was held on 29th June at Sheikh
      Rashid auditorium in Dubai.

      In a function held in Al Ain on 20th July, the zonal president Rev. Fr.
      T.J. Johnson handed over the documents to Al Ain parish vicar Rev. Fr. Saji
      Abraham. Fr. Saji stated that this contribution will definitely help to
      expedite the construction of the church.

      The secretary of the parish Mr. Varghese K Cherian , trustee George Mathew,
      the general convener of the programme Mr. Babu Varghese, member of the
      sabha managing committee Mr. P.G. Mathew, zonal secretary Mr. Manoj Thomas,
      Mr. K.S. Chacko, Mr. John.P. George and Mr. Elias.K. Varghese were others
      who spoke at the function.

      * *

      *Meida Desk*

      *OCYM UAE Zone*
    • ttiju
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10 12:45 AM
        Dear ones,

        Saw this post in this group. Let me share a few thoughts that came to my mind: Let me first appreciate the Gulf zone of the OCYM for taking up this venture and executing it well, that too for a noble cause of building a church at Al Ain.

        When I was told about this initiative, I was reminded of a specific instance in a church around 5 years back in India. The Holy Qurbana used to be held in a rented dilapidated building. During the monsoon season, it took almost 2 hours of mopping and cleaning every morning by a few dedicated members before the hall was made ready for the service. There was a pressing need to build a church and the diocese was fully supportive of the initiative and at least 75 lakh INR (50% of the required amount) was collected from the members. But the factionalism and discord that was prevalent between the members resulted in scuttling of every proposal that was presented. The Metropolitan holding a meeting commented in exasperation, "You as a congregation are still not mature enough to build a church. You do not deserve it." Even after a lapse of 5 years, the congregation still does not have a church building!!

        The Al Ain parish is lucky to have the Dubai zone OCYM take up such an initiative and that too holding such a wonderful event with the "Priest among the singers and the Singer among the priests". Fr. MP George setting the mood! The youth of our Church can do wonders! Brothers have come together and … well, Al Ain… you deserve a beautiful Church!!

        Warm wishes,
        Dr. Tiju Thomas
        Consul
        Consulate General of India, Dubai