The school in Church's mission - HG Mar Coorilose's vision

  • Mathew Samuel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2013
      Sometimes we hear of many comments from the lay believers regarding our schools, colleges etc. Why are we running schools? What exactly is the Church's role? What mission is the Church fulfilling by running a school etc. While I do hear of excesses in school management under the oversight of the Church, I am hoping and praying they are just one off aberrations.

      Coorilose Thirumeni of Mumbai, when I got an opportunity to speak to HG a few months ago, explained to me a very valid reason why the school is important from the Church's point of view. Providing education is a mission. And it is a way to connect to the local community. The intention is to serve the community and become part of it. Thirumeni was explaining to me HG's vision for the Gregorian Community in Roha where we currently have a well run school with over 800 local students.

      I was witness to their annual day celebrations last February, and could see how much the school had enabled a connection between itself and the local community and a channel to serve the community. Thirumeni said " We are Malayalees and Christians and the locals here are neither - the school provides a way for us to connect and to serve the local community"

      Read on about HG's grand vision of the Gregorian Community here:
      http://gregoriancommunity.blogspot.com/2013/07/mar-coorilose-explains-6-school-old-age.html
      Also read the other related messages there.

      thanks
      Mathew Samuel,
      Albany, NY