Transfers and New Assignments.

  • Fr.Varghese Yohannan Vattaparampil
    Message 1 of 2 , May 21, 2013
      Transfers and New Assignments:

      May June are the months of Transfers for our Priests. During these
      period the priests are transferred from one parish to the other on
      completion of his tenure of Minimum 3 years or less which is generally
      accepted in principle as per the Kalpana of the Diocesan
      Metropolitans, according to the Constitution.

      Here are some guidelines to be followed by all for the smooth
      functioning and Gods blessings.

      1) Just as we welcome a priest with great joy,pomp,funfare,flowers and
      bouquets it should continue till he leave for the new assignment. It
      should not diminish as days-weeks-months passes, as our expectations
      fail. As it is said only Christ is cent percent perfect, there in no
      other perfect person in this earth, everyone has got his/her
      drawbacks.
      2) Just as one is engaged in establishment/institutions where it has
      got its faith-order-discipline similarly the same is applicable in
      Church affairs too.
      3) Equality should be maintained –No group/party. No discrimination.
      4) One should always bear in mind that General body is supreme and the
      decisions taken/approved may be implemented on timely basis by the
      Management Committee or organizations authorized with and also may
      recommend good proposals for the growth & development of the parish.
      5) Ratifications may be discouraged other than in case of emergency
      that too in proper consultation by taking the concerned authority into
      confidence through proper Channel maintaining proper protocol.
      6) One Man show/over smartness should be discouraged instead work
      collectively and unitedly though there may be slight difference of
      opinions as we are from different areas of the small state of kerala
      with different culture (In ones office memo/termination notice/
      suspension/ dismissal takes place, In family zero value is given
      because of equality character/nature but Church & Hierarchy is a place
      to project with, which may some times get clicked but gradually
      ousted).
      7) Inform of emergency causes like hospitalization or death for timely
      prayers and console, instead of wait n watch.
      8) Transparency in dealings is a must, especially financial matters,
      no rollings.
      9) Polished approach may be discouraged, as it may be of double standards.
      10) There should be a fair & proper communication and no misunderstandings.

      Readers comments are solicited.

      --
      Fr.Varghese Yohannan Vattaparampil
      (Vattaparampilachen)

      This is Computer generated letter/message/ copy and hence does not
      require my signature.
    • VINU
      Message 2 of 2 , May 23, 2013
        I appreciate the kind observations and recommendations of respected Yohannan Vattaparambil Achen.

        I have however few points that comes to my mind that I seek to find in Orthodox Priests.

        1.The Orthodox Priest is highly respected by the members of the Parish and their families in general and it is the sacred duty of the Priest to also nobly RETURN that respect and reverence in the form of unconditional love,justice and fairness.They should keep the interest of the Parish and its members in mind than their family,kith and kin and certain 'padasevakars'(loyalist groups). Any issue should be dealt with fairness and godly justice.

        2.The essence of Orthodoxy is unceasing Prayers and Sacraments which Priests are expected to embody.The most essential thing any faithful is looking for in a Priest is if he has true christian character and Prayer Life.These two are unfortunately very rare to find these days with many Priests.

        3.Priests should not show any discrimination as Vattaparambil Achen said and they should not have any retaliatory attitude to faithful who sometimes constructively criticise them but pray for them and bless them and even comfort them.They will surely win them over many fold with God's love.

        4.The voice of women,young and children are usually subdued or unattended to in the Church in general and even in General Body meetings but the Priest as A LOVING FATHER TO ALL should see that these weaker sections and minority groups are rendered justice in the Parish.The future generation's needs,aspirations and desires are to be protected.Sunday Schools must be given cardinal importance.

        5.Visiting the sick and the mourning should have undiluted strong attention and the Priests should keep their eyes open and ears tuned to attend to these eventualities among Parish members.

        6.The faithful who are attending prayers/services outside our Church should be sought out and every attempt should be made to keep them in the mainstream of the Parish.

        7.The Priest should not be an 'ORDERLY' of the General Body of the Church but being its 'PRESIDENT/VICAR should also CONTROL and DIRECT the General Body to come to decisions and conclusions that are fair,just and undiscriminatory to all sections.

        May God Bless and instill the Blessed Holy Spirit and thus true christian character abundantly in our beloved reverened Priests.

        Dr.Vinu Thomas,
        Dubai.