A Prayer for the Victims of the Oklahoma City Tornado-By Rev. Dr. Alexander J. Kurien

  • ICON Moderators
    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 41 KB
    A Prayer for
    The victims, affected families, volunteers, and the rescue workers
    Of Oklahoma City and its Suburbs affected by the Killer Tornado
    By Rev. Fr. Alexander J. Kurien, Washington, D.C.

    Photo - Remains of Plaza Towers Elementary School (New York Times)

    As you have been following the news -- a giant tornado killed at least 90 people, 20 of them children, as it tore across parts of Oklahoma City and its suburbs Monday afternoon, flattening homes, tossing cars through the air and crushing at least two schools. Let us pray for the victims, families, the volunteers, and the rescue workers.

    Our dear loving and merciful God-
    Loving Lord, we come to you trusting in your mercy and knowing that your steadfast love endures forever. Look with mercy on your children across Oklahoma City who have been harmed and displaced by this giant tornado. Merciful God, hear our cry for your mercy in the wake of this disaster. Grant eternal peace to those who lost their lives. Embrace the children, especially those little ones from the elementary schools, who died in their innocence. Help those who are hurt and cure those who are injured. Reveal your presence in the midst of our suffering. Help us to trust in your promises of hope and life so that desperation and grief do not overtake us. Come quickly to our aid that we may know peace and joy again. Strengthen us in this time of trial with the assurance of hope that we know in the death and resurrection of your Son. Grant your children your strength to meet the days ahead. Allow those families lost their loved ones and their life-long belonging to experience your peace which passes all understanding and new hope in the resurrection. Encourage those who suffer in the destruction of their homes and properties, so that despite the difficulty at hand they may once again stand up and rebuild their future.

    Bless all those who extend their helping hands to those in need of food, shelter and clothing, who share their time, talents and resources with others. Inspire more people to be men and women for their neighbors, convinced that the more they are for others, the closer they journey with Your Son. We implore that we, our loved ones and our hard earned possessions, be spared from the threat of calamities, natural and man-made. Save us please from other disasters and devastations if this would be according to Your will and for our own spiritual good. Merciful Father, we command to your loving keeping all who work to bring rescue and relief especially the firefighters, law enforcement personnel, paramedics, medical personnel, and volunteers, all who are helping, Give them courage in danger, skill in difficulty, and compassion in service. Sustain them with bodily strength and calmness of mind that they may perform their work to the well-being of those in need so that lives may be saved and communities restored. Move in those who are able to give aid, that we may be your hands and heart on the earth. Be with all who offer your assistance; may your Spirit uphold them and to face the challenges ahead. Give us the assurance of your presence even in this time so that we can cling to your promise of hope and life shown us through Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord. Amen

    In His Love,
    Alexander Kurien Achen
    Washington, DC.