Organ Donotion & Transplant

  • Reji Varughese
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2013
      Gulf News dated 8-May-2012 had the following news item;

      "Putting a smile on others’ faces is not what grieving relatives would
      typically do. But, two families in Kerala have done just that, donating vital organs of their dear ones while mourning their demise. Both incidents were reported this week from the state capital. An 11-year-old boy who lost his mother in a road accident and had earlier lost his dad as well, decided to donate her organs while the relatives of a 49-year-old woman who died in a fall also took the same decision. Organ donation has caught up in Kerala in recent times, thanks to an effective campaign by the state government and non-governmental organizations. Setting an example, Catholic priest Davis Chiramel donated his kidney. So did well-known Kerala businessman Kochouseph Chittilappally. The culture of organ donation got another boost
      last year when all residents of a village in Thrissur, Pootharakkal,
      pledged to donate organs".

      Every year hundreds of people die while waiting for an organ transplant and many others lose their lives before they even get on to the transplant list. Transplants are very successful and the number of transplant is rising due to an aging population, an increase in illnesses such as diabetes, kidney disease and heart disease which may result in organ failure. Scientific advances mean that more people are now able to benefit from a transplant.

      Kidneys, heart, liver, lungs, pancreas and the small bowel can all be
      donated & transplanted. Techniques are improving all the time and we may soon be able to transplant other parts of the body. Tissue donation is the gift of tissue to help others. Corneas, skin, bone, tendons, cartilage and heart valves can be used in everything from severe eye disease to reconstructive surgery and skin grafts. Unlike organs, it may be possible to donate tissue up to 48 hours after a person has died.

      As a community, we can spread awareness of this noble cause. We spend
      millions of dollars in supporting charity work for needy chronic patients and research data say that this can come down drastically with suitable organ transplant. Transplants will also drastically improve quality of patient's life. All these precious organs go down as waste when we cremate or bury our loved ones. It will be inspiration to the soul of the deceased person and living relatives if these organs can buy or improve a life.

      Across churches and other supporting spiritual organizations, we should generate a drive to enroll maximum people (including family members) to pledge their organs after death. There are several voluntary organizations which provide help and infrastructure required for donor transplant. Apollo hospitals has dedicated arm called “Gift a Life” website www.giftalife.org.They have online registration as well.

      Reji Varughese, Abu Dhabi