Re: Lengthy Church Services

  • ronnie daniel
    Message 1 of 37 , May 6, 2013
      - In IndianOrthodox@yahoogroups.com, Thomasanl <thomasanl@...> wrote:
      >There are occasions in some perunaal kramam where 'kuriyelyson' is recited 27 times continuously which create only 'avarthana virasatha'.

      Well, life itself is full of "avarthanam" or repetitions and as such we should not be having "repetition boredom". Do we get bored breathing, eating, drinking ??
      Here again I quote the same Matthew 4: 4 Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

      Prayer and worship are the breath and food and drink for our spiritual life. Kurielieson means "Lord have mercy on us" and I think we should not get bored of saying it 27 or 27,000 times until we get bored of committing sins.

      I think the whole confusion here is that some people in a certain stage of their life or a certain status in their life either do not have the time or do not feel the necessity for worship. I do understand that because I had gone through that stage in my own life when I felt I have better things to do than attending a long service. Because I was not familiar with "Ecclesiastes 12 :1" "Remember your Creator in the days of your youth, before the days of trouble come and the years approach when you will say, "I find no pleasure in them".

      Well, some of you are so fortunate that you still finds pleasure in the "them" in the above verse and I congratulate you for that. But, what I don't agree with is some one making it their agenda to reduce the number of "Kurieleisons" being raised in the Church by those who are already "in the days of their trouble" and desperately want to seek mercy from the Lord.

      I am excited when I say " Lord have mercy on us", I do not know why some others don't.
      If it is because of sympathy for the youth who doesn't attend because the service is too long; I would suggest to leave the youth their own way and you keep saying "Kurieleison" on their behalf too and they will find the Church with the longest service sooner than later. Guaranteed !!!

      Ronnie Daniel
      Toronto
    • ICON Email
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 8 3:40 PM
        Some of our church members always complains that our service is lengthy. A normal Sunday service with sermon may be arround 2 1/2 hrs only. Most of the members skip the one hour prabhatha namaskaram and some may reach for last half our only. I like to point about a family who always complain about this long service. The aunty was not willing to sit for the marthamariyam samajam after the church. The uncle always cries about giving the nominal monthly collection for the church and skips the other charity collections. Now this family is a member of Heavenly Feast. Aunty goes for whole day Friday prayers even early to participate in the kanji and payar preparation. Uncle knows to pay the monthly deshamsham. Those who complain against the leangthy service, please rethink. Once you participate in holy Qurbana whole heartedly, you will not feel that it is lengthy. God save our church.

        Regards, B V Chirathalattu, Vakathanam