Re: Lengthy Church Services

  • Thomasanl
    Message 1 of 37 , May 1, 2013
      I fully endorse the views expressed by Dr. Philipose Joshua that we may avoid some repetitions in order to shorten the service (ICON # 4882). My opinion in this regard is that we should avoid all unnecessary repetition. We can finish the 'namaskaaram' in 30 minutes if we avoid 3rd hour and 6th hour namaskaaram which is only a repetition of the 'prabhaatha namaskaaram'. In most of the churches in Kerala Holy Qurbana starts before 9 AM. Then what is the relevance of 'moonnaam mani� and �aaraam mani namaskaaram' which should be conducted at 9 AM and 12 Noon respectively, before Holy Qurbana when it starts before 9 AM. We can also avoid 'prumion� and �sedera' in prabhatha namaskaaram as we have it in the Holy Qurbana again.

      What is the meaning of 'men olam' when there is no 'shubholo'? There are occasions in some perunaal kramam where 'kuriyelyson' is recited 27 times continuously which create only 'avarthana virasatha'.

      'In Easter, Christmas and other perunaal occasions, except Good Friday, is it necessary to have 'maalakhamaarude sthudhi ' after 'sleeba aaghosham'? Is there any legend where Angels say 'njangalkkaay jaatham cheythone' or njangalkkaay punarudhithane krupa cheyyaname'?

      During Holy Qurbana some priests take too much time for the private prayer when the geetham 'yaachikendum samayamitha....'is sung while some other priests are done with this part even before completing the geetham itself.

      I think the priest is the deciding factor where the length of the service could shorten considerably.

      Thomas Kuttikandathil, Houston.
    • ICON Email
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 8, 2013
        Some of our church members always complains that our service is lengthy. A normal Sunday service with sermon may be arround 2 1/2 hrs only. Most of the members skip the one hour prabhatha namaskaram and some may reach for last half our only. I like to point about a family who always complain about this long service. The aunty was not willing to sit for the marthamariyam samajam after the church. The uncle always cries about giving the nominal monthly collection for the church and skips the other charity collections. Now this family is a member of Heavenly Feast. Aunty goes for whole day Friday prayers even early to participate in the kanji and payar preparation. Uncle knows to pay the monthly deshamsham. Those who complain against the leangthy service, please rethink. Once you participate in holy Qurbana whole heartedly, you will not feel that it is lengthy. God save our church.

        Regards, B V Chirathalattu, Vakathanam