Doctors Needed In Remote Regions

  • Mathew Samuel
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2013
      Dear friends,

      Today I was talking to the manager achen of Itarsi Balagram and achen mentioned of the good work in Kalahandi Orissa. We have a balabhavan there where we take care of about 70 children of the local tribal area. You may know that Kalahandi is one of the poorest and most backward districts in the country.

      Achen also mentioned we used to have a hospital there many years ago, but it was stopped because we did not have doctors who could work there in that remote area.

      I also know that similar situation exists for a clinic in Attapadi tribal area in Palakkad district in Kerala. In Attapadi also we have an Ashram and a school as well as a Balagram where we take care of children from the local tribal region. There too we had a hospital which is now de-funct because we do not have doctors who can work there.

      While working in the remote regions can be tough, and will not be rewarding - perhaps something can be worked out if we put our minds together? Maybe the experienced doctors and medical professionals reading this could think over this need in prayer and perhaps God will show a way where precious skills like yours may become useful organs of the Church in providing healing in such tribal regions.

      Warm regards
      Mathew Samuel,
      Albany, NY
    • isaac thomas
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2013
        Dear friends,

        I was reading about the Kalahandi Hospital in the letter from Mr.Mathew Samuel.

        The hospital was set up with all facilities including an x ray unit but had to close down due to lack of doctors.

        Many would know that Orthodox Church sponsors candidates to CMC Vellore (which is no more possible) and CMC Ludhiana and they have to serve in our hospitals for 2 years. For some strange reason Kalahandi hospital is not in the list of Orthodox Hospitals where they have to serve which prevented Kalahandi Hospital from getting these doctors.

        It is not easy to get doctors to work even in not so remote areas. Even retired doctors are not available. I am involved in running the eye hospital at Yacharam Balagram, which is only 50 km from Hyderabad, and we could not find a surgeon who is willing to stay in Balagram even after we agreed for the best salary and also for free quarters etc. The present surgeon who is with us for the last over 5 years prefers to commute from Hyderabad travelling 2 hours one way. He is doing a great job and last year he did over 1500 cataract surgeries.

        Philip Rambachen was aware of this problem and he persuaded Madras Medical Mission College in Pondicherry to admit 2 children - one a boy and the other a girl - from Puthuppadi Balabhavan and Balika Bhavan into the MBBS course without any fees except the hostel fees (which was supported by a well wisher). These children have completed their courses and hopefully one of them may be available for Kalahandi in due course.

        Isaac Thomas, Hyderabad