Tuesday of Holy Pasion Week(Byzantine)

  • The Orthodox Bookstore
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2013
      On Tuesday of Holy Pascha Week, our Lord Jesus Christ spent the day with the
      disciples in the temple, teaching them by parables, telling them about the
      Second Coming.

      {The Parable of the Ten Bridesmaids}

      "Then the kingdom of heaven will be like this. Ten bridesmaids took their lamps
      and went to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish, and five were wise.
      When the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them; but the wise took
      flasks of oil with their lamps. As the bridegroom was delayed, all of them
      became drowsy and slept. But at midnight there was a shout, "Look! Here is the
      bridegroom! Come out to meet him.' Then all those bridesmaids got up and trimmed
      their lamps. The foolish said to the wise, "Give us some of your oil, for our
      lamps are going out.' But the wise replied, "No! There will not be enough for
      you and for us; you had better go to the dealers and buy some for yourselves.'
      And while they went to buy it, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready
      went with him into the wedding banquet; and the door was shut. Later the other
      bridesmaids came also, saying, "Lord, lord, open to us.' But he replied, "Truly
      I tell you, I do not know you.' Keep awake therefore, for you know neither the
      day nor the hour.

      {The Parable of the Talents}

      "For it is as if a man, going on a journey, summoned his slaves and entrusted
      his property to them; to one he gave five talents, {A talent was worth more than
      fifteen years' wages of a laborer} to another two, to another one, to each
      according to his ability. Then he went away. The one who had received the five
      talents went off at once and traded with them, and made five more talents. In
      the same way, the one who had the two talents made two more talents. But the one
      who had received the one talent went off and dug a hole in the ground and hid
      his master's money. After a long time the master of those slaves came and
      settled accounts with them. Then the one who had received the five talents came
      forward, bringing five more talents, saying, "Master, you handed over to me five
      talents; see, I have made five more talents.' His master said to him, "Well
      done, good and trustworthy slave; you have been trustworthy in a few things, I
      will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.' And
      the one with the two talents also came forward, saying, "Master, you handed over
      to me two talents; see, I have made two more talents.' His master said to him,
      "Well done, good and trustworthy slave; you have been trustworthy in a few
      things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your
      master.' Then the one who had received the one talent also came forward, saying,
      "Master, I knew that you were a harsh man, reaping where you did not sow, and
      gathering where you did not scatter seed; so I was afraid, and I went and hid
      your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.' But his master replied,
      "You wicked and lazy slave! You knew, did you, that I reap where I did not sow,
      and gather where I did not scatter? Then you ought to have invested my money
      with the bankers, and on my return I would have received what was my own with
      interest. So take the talent from him, and give it to the one with the ten
      talents. For to all those who have, more will be given, and they will have an
      abundance; but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken
      away. As for this worthless slave, throw him into the outer darkness, where
      there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

      {The Judgment of the Nations}

      "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he
      will sit on the throne of his glory. All the nations will be gathered before
      him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the
      sheep from the goats, and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats
      at the left. Then the king will say to those at his right hand, "Come, you that
      are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the
      foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty
      and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was
      naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in
      prison and you visited me.' Then the righteous will answer him, "Lord, when was
      it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something
      to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked
      and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and
      visited you?' And the king will answer them, "Truly I tell you, just as you did
      it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.'
      Then he will say to those at his left hand, "You that are accursed, depart from
      me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry
      and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a
      stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing,
      sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' Then they also will answer, "Lord,
      when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or
      in prison, and did not take care of you?' Then he will answer them, "Truly I
      tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do
      it to me.' And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous
      into eternal life." (Matthew 25:1-46)

      Many people in the Church resemble that servant [Matt. 25:24-27]. They are
      afraid to attempt a better way of life, but not of resting in idleness. When
      they advert to the fact that they are sinners, the prospect of laying hold of
      ways of holiness alarms them, but they feel no fear at remaining in their
      wickedness. - Gregory the Great

      Some who seek Him are blamed, others who do are commended therefore, let us
      seek for Christ, that He may be ours, that we may keep Him, and not that we may
      slay Him. - Augustine

      We and all the Christians ought to follow the example of out Lord Jesus Christ
      the True Light because we are His servants. He is the Shepherd and we are His
      sheep governed by Him.- St. Shenouti the Archimandrite