Re: Lengthy Church Services

  • ES John
    Message 1 of 37 , Apr 25, 2013
      Dear worried members of the orthodox zealots,
      'When some one ask us who lives in Toronto about the driving time between
      Toronto and New York, we say about 8 to 9 hours. That timing is arrived
      by dividing the total Kilometres distance between these two locations
      by the speed limit. Similarly we can arrive at how long each services
      would be looking at the prescribed prayers in the books.'

      Someone asked Einstein what time is or define 'time'. It one sitting on a hot stove or another one courting with his fiance, time is seemingly different in these two instances. The lovers who spent 1 hour seem that it is only one minute that they have spent, the other concludes that 1 minute is equivalent to 1 hour. so time is just relative. In short, there is terrestrial time, psychological time and celestial time.

      One who has grievances of many kinds like to spend more time with the Lord in the church, he takes part penitently without knowing the time. Others, though coming late, complain and complain till they meet with some mishaps. They want only give attendance and doing rigmarole after the church. we asked one new priest 'how long will the worship take'. He said that he would start it on time, but doesn't know how long it takes to finish it.

      You will long for attending one Heavenly Qurbana of ours, but it would not be there when the evil powers take charge of the world or the region. Think about the Syrian bishops and priests and lay members kidnapped by terrorists. Read Lk.2. Hannah, a widow prophetess, spent day in and day out in the church for 84 years of her widowhood in the temple, and that lifestyle made her witnessing the baby Jesus on the day of His temple entry. Those who are pure at heart will see the LORD, Mt.5.

      How much we waste the time of true worshipers by inducting birthday and wedding day prayers and choir and other weeds and sports and camping and picnic announcements.
      Please don't  play the role of dog in the manger.

      I was avoiding in biting this bait, because it is useless to overtax my only one hand that is functional.

      E.S.John, Australia
    • ICON Email
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 8, 2013
        Some of our church members always complains that our service is lengthy. A normal Sunday service with sermon may be arround 2 1/2 hrs only. Most of the members skip the one hour prabhatha namaskaram and some may reach for last half our only. I like to point about a family who always complain about this long service. The aunty was not willing to sit for the marthamariyam samajam after the church. The uncle always cries about giving the nominal monthly collection for the church and skips the other charity collections. Now this family is a member of Heavenly Feast. Aunty goes for whole day Friday prayers even early to participate in the kanji and payar preparation. Uncle knows to pay the monthly deshamsham. Those who complain against the leangthy service, please rethink. Once you participate in holy Qurbana whole heartedly, you will not feel that it is lengthy. God save our church.

        Regards, B V Chirathalattu, Vakathanam