Re: Lengthy church services

  • Dr. Philipose Joshua
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 25, 2013
      I fully endorse the view�expressed by H.G. Nicholovos Thirumeni. The terms long and short are relative. I remember my friend Dr. Bedassa Tadesse Ayele, a member of the Ethipean Orthodox Church, telling me that even their usual Sunday services will last about six hours and during the service even their Patriarch will not sit.

      We have no problem for standing long hours in a queue for a ticket for a cinema or a cricket match. Even if the length of the services are cut short, how many would still attend it from the�beginning?�I think we are the only church where we do not feel ashamed of coming to the services even at the last moment.

      In my humble opinion, it is our attitude and our involvement in the services that matter, more than the length of the services. Most of the people do not keep the liturgical book with them and do not actively take part in the services by reciting the prayers or singing. So there is no doubt they get bored and tend to think that the service is painfully long.

      However, we may avoid some repetitions wherever possible. For instance, when prayers of different hours (Morning, 3rd hour, 6th hour etc.) are conducted continuously, repetition of the kauma at the end of each hour and beginning of the next hour, can be avoided. The Holy Synod can appoint an expert committee to examine the matter in detail and try to arrive at a suitable solution.�

      Our clergy should also show some common sense in this matter. Our Holy Eucharist usually takes only about an hour and a quarter, but the announcements that follow, take in some places (with due respect to the clergy who are thoughtful and disciplined), any where between half an hour to three quarter of an hour, when they actually need only five to ten minutes. They keep repeating the same thing several times, as if the entire lay people standing there are a dumb or stupid lot.

      With best regards

      Prof. (Dr.) Philipose Joshua, Trivandrum
    • susan
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 29, 2013
        Dear friends,
        I have some doubts. Are people who are not receiving communion allowed to attend just the Prabhaatha Namaskaaram and leave after that?

        Is there something called 'Qurbaana kaanuka' so that people can come late and see the Eucharist being taken towards the west?

        Even in Prabhaatha Namaskaaram, we do leave out many prayers and this does shorten the Sunday Service.

        What really keeps it long is what comes later-notices and comments.

        And the mad undisciplined rush for Kaimuthu.

        But when there is a breakfast after Service, the impatience is less because women do not have to rush back to keep food ready for the family.

        Much of the service is doctrine and teachings.

        Susan Eapen, Thiruvananthapuram
      • ronnie daniel
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1 12:44 PM
          - In IndianOrthodox@yahoogroups.com, <susaneapen2001@...> wrote: Is there something called 'Qurbaana kaanuka' so that people can come late and see the Eucharist being taken towards the west?

          In addition to Seeing the Qurbana, there is Hearing the Qurbana, Receiving the Qurbana and Living the Qurbana too. Due to technology advancement, Seeing and Hearing can be done even sitting in the comforts of our home. But technology for Receiving the Qurbana sitting at home is not yet invented.

          And there is a final and difficult stage of Living the Qurbana which is the fruit of the first three steps. Many of us do the first two steps of seeing and hearing. Some souls may reach a step even further, receiving it; mostly for judgment and condemnation. I am not trying to be judgmental here; but it is written that we ourselves with our own strength will not be able to make it to that final stage of living it. If it was not possible for St. Paul by his own strength, how it would be possible for meek sinners like us.

          Therefore, the best chance we have in front of us is to seek the help of the Lord who makes everything possible. If we place ourselves in a position to see, we will have a chance to hear. When we have a chance to see and hear, we stand a chance to receive. And when we have the chance to see, hear and receive; we stand a chance to live.

          The longer we practice those first three steps, the better the chance of God making the final thing possible for us. Same like the longer we stay in a race, the better is the chance of winning. Skipping half of the race and expecting a win is a terribly bad idea. The excuse for many who come late for worship is their busy schedule.

          Matthew 4: 4 Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'".

          Well, there is no harm in staying longer in our race for our bread; but that should not be at the cost of skipping the word of God.

          Regards,
          Ronnie Daniel, Toronto