Lengthy Church Services

  • Abraham
    Message 1 of 37 , Apr 3 6:42 AM
      Dear All,

      As Pope Francis is going on making news these days, one of the recent headline was 'he shortened Holy Week Easter vigil service - short to the point'. He shortened the service!?

      After reading this news, I was thinking about our Church services. Especially, the recent Good Friday service I attended.

      In most of our Churches in the USA, Good Friday service starts at 9 AM and ends at 3PM or 4PM. This is 6-7 hours of service, excluding the kanji afterwards.

      What is an ideal time for the church service? Does a Church service stretched more than three hours provide any spiritual value to the participants? Is it spiritually edifying for an average church goer?

      In any Church, people with different time constraints and spiritual persuasions attend the public services. Are we respecting them or don't we care about their needs? Are we turning them off? Should we need open ended service, where participants have no clue when it ends? Or should we do our public services 'short to the point', as Pope did?

      Without being judgemental, I was just curious to hear what you think.

      ~ Abraham Chirackal, Davenport, Iowa
    • ICON Email
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 8, 2013
        Some of our church members always complains that our service is lengthy. A normal Sunday service with sermon may be arround 2 1/2 hrs only. Most of the members skip the one hour prabhatha namaskaram and some may reach for last half our only. I like to point about a family who always complain about this long service. The aunty was not willing to sit for the marthamariyam samajam after the church. The uncle always cries about giving the nominal monthly collection for the church and skips the other charity collections. Now this family is a member of Heavenly Feast. Aunty goes for whole day Friday prayers even early to participate in the kanji and payar preparation. Uncle knows to pay the monthly deshamsham. Those who complain against the leangthy service, please rethink. Once you participate in holy Qurbana whole heartedly, you will not feel that it is lengthy. God save our church.

        Regards, B V Chirathalattu, Vakathanam