Gift cheques for Poor Kidney Patients handed over by Bava Thirumeni

  • icon.org
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2013
    Dear All,
    Kindly remember that sometime ago, I had written about 2 poor kidney patients identified by Karunya Nilayam Palliative Care Unit, Vakathanam in ICON Digest. Both are non-orthodox christians and I had written about their dire need after listening to the gospel lesson describing the faith of the Canaanite Woman. The bible story teaches us to go beyond the ethnic–denominational barriers to reach out to the needy even among the so called ‘gentiles’.
    We were supporting these poor kidney patients in our own small ways, but two dialysis per week per patient is too expensive to be managed with local charity alone. That was why I posted their case in Icon Digest. The bank account details of the two patients --- Fiji Phil Mathews & Roy P. U. --- were also given and soon both patients began receiving small donations.
    Then Mr. Abraham Chirackal & Mr. George Abraham wrote to me saying that two gift cheques of Rs. 25,000/- each from ICON Charities would be mailed to me for being passed on to the poor kidney patients. I was also asked to arrange a small function to hand over the same.
    Fr. K. T. Jacob (Sunny Achen) from Idukki sent the cheques to me by courier. Fr. P. A. Philip (Devalokam) arranged a small function at Devalokam Aramana Chapel on Holy Saturday (30th March) after the Holy Qurbana. His Holiness Bava Thirumeni kindly gave away the cheques to the poor patients and blessed them. The following pictures show Fiji Phil Mathews and Roy P. U. receiving the cheques from Bava Thirumeni. Fr. M. K. Kurian, Manager, Devalokam Aramana and myself are also seen in the pictures. Mr. Roy was too weak even to come to the Aramana Chapel for the function. But the money will take care of his hospital expenses for 2–3 months. Fiji (photo 1) is much younger and healthier. Mr. George Abraham is exploring possibilities of raising funds for kidney transplantation for the young man.
    Thank you all for your kind and timely assistance. May the Risen Lord bless all of you abundantly and crown all your endeavours with success.
    N. B.:
    At About noon time today (01/04/2013), I was at Mar Gregorios Karunya Nilayam near Govt. Medical College Hospital, Kottayam with 15 of my students. The English literature students of our college had raised about Rs. 1.25 lakhs for the care of cancer patients last month and Fr. Dr. T. J. Joshua & Very Rev. E. K. George Cor–Epsicopa, Directors of Karunya Nilayam came to the college and accepted our cheque. Last year also, our students had raised Rs. 1.30 lakhs and given the same to Karunya Nilayam. Atmeeya Yatra T. V. was doing a cover story on Sethu Parvathy, the leader of the student group who persuaded the students to take up the Cancer Relief Project. Her mother died of cancer a year ago and that was why she took up the mission with great zeal.
    We saw 300-400 poor patients and bystanders lining up for free lunch (Kanji & Curry) at the Karunya Nilayam Counter. Many accepted food for 2–3  persons. We and the TV channel people too were given food. We praised God and returned with great satisfaction seeing the good work there. Please keep Karunya Nilayam also in your prayers.

    Prof. Jacob Kurian Onattu,
    Principal,

    Baselius College, Kottayam – 1.
  • K N Thomas
    Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2013
      Thank you Onattu sir for the very informative write up on the Charity work
      of our Church and its people for Cancer/kidney patients. May God bless all
      people involved.

      --
      K N Thomas, Kottayam