Re: Proposal for a Dialysis Village

  • Sabu Abraham
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 29, 2013
      Dear ICON moderators,

      I am a dialysis technician working in UAE and have 32 years of experience. I am planning to retire by the first quarter of next year. Why don't we all think of starting a dialysis village, in some part of Kerala, where the orthodox churches around the globe can donate one machine, which can cost around 7 lakhs of rupees. We can have a big dialysis unit and doctors, nurses and technicians should work/volunteer on charity basis (on a menial salary) and interns in turn can get experience in dialysis. Slowly, it can be upgraded to a Centre where we can train nurses and technicians. This unit will be of great help to people like Biju. We should only charge a minimum amount for dialysis, like Rs. 300 – 500, which is the cost of disposable items like dialyser, blood lines, etc.

      Sabu Abraham,
      Senior Charge Techncian, Dibba Hospital
      Ministry Of Health, United Arab Emirates.

      From the Desk of Moderators:
      This is a brilliant idea and we can think of such a setup along with our Parumala Hospital. Hope the authorities concerned will consider.
    • suraj
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 31, 2013
        Dear Sir,

        This is a brilliant idea and indeed an idea whose time has come.

        Standalone dialysis centers are increasingly common across India and treatment is provided in a day-care setting without the hassles of a large corporate hospital environment.

        http://businesstoday.intoday.in/story/day-care-clinics-healthcare-india-future-patients/1/23150.html

        http://nephrolife.in/

        Surely we can have a day care center that can provide care at subsided rates along with an environment of spiritual support.

        Can we all try and find a way of making this work?

        Suraj Iype, Alibag.
      • Philip Ayyamplackal Chacko
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 31, 2013
          Dear Sabu Abraham,

          Excellent idea! My suggestion is to keep it away from the Parumala Hospital complex and the authorities. It would be good to use the names of our saints from Malankara, Saint Gregorios or Saint Dionysius for the Village and offer the treatment primarily to people from weaker sections irrespective of caste and religion at a cost that can break even, after taking into account the Voluntary help that can come forth.

          The location should be easily accessed by road, far away from the crowds. There could be data available from organizations like ORG to find out the district wise figures on how many people are on dialysis and accordingly select the place in that district.

          If you can work out a rough infrastructure cost for building a complex which will include different type of rooms required for this treatment, canteen etc. it will give a fair idea of the cost involved. Another option is to look out for small hospitals that are not doing well. Such institutions can be taken on lease with the potentiality to buy and develop.

          Accordingly, if ICON can assign one of its moderators to find out from its prospective members who will be interested in this project, we will see this idea working. We can also easily get experienced hands especially retired civil servants, CEOs, Bank Managers etc. belonging to our church, who would be happy to manage this project if there are less name sake authorities.

          A few months back I feel our Malabar Diocese did setup a Dialysis centre in Calicut. The diocesan metropolitan Dr. Zacharias Mar Theophilos Thirumeni will be happy to provide you with the details. Kindly contact Thirumeni.

          Philip Ayyamplackal, Auckland
        • Sabu Abraham
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3 1:05 AM
            Thanks for bringing this topic in the Icon. A good planning is required .
            We human beings drink 2 lts of water per day but a dialysis patient is
            exposed to 120 -150 ltres of water for making the solution for dialysis
            which comes in to contact with the patients blood, and a little impurities
            in the water can cause fatal effects in patient. Association of Advanced
            Medical instrumentation gives guidelines for water treatment. Unfortunately
            a few dialysis units I visited in kerala doesn't comply with the AAMI
            standards. Again there should be ample space to accommodate the machines
            and beds. There should be a space for a machine which should be dedicated
            to Hepatitis B patient which should be away from the normal dialysis
            stations since hepatis B is deadlier than AIDs. There should be a seperate
            area for cleaning the dialyser and lines for reusing on the same patient.
            Normally the units use dialysers for 5-6 times., But when I visited
            National hospital in Mumbai recently, I saw a dialyser which was used at
            16th time and still it is clean. One doctor from US visited our hospital 2
            years back and mentioned that he tried using a dialyser for 100 times.
            Imagine if we can have the skill to reprocess the dialyser by experienced
            staff and a dialyser which costs around 600-700 ruppes used for 10 times
            and blood lines to 25 times will reduce the cost of dialysis to around
            Rs.250/- excluding the staff charges.

            A chronic dialysis unit doesn't require a full time nephrologist. It is
            good idea to take over some small hospitals and set up a dialysis unit.
            When I went through the brochure of puthuppadi dialysis unit, the
            sponsorship for one month dialysis is mentioned as Rs.12500/- If this is
            the charges for one month dialysis, I would like to mention that Apollo
            hospitals chennai charges only Rs.800 per dialysis and patients require 12
            dialysis per month works out to be 9600.

            WE SHOULD WORK OUT TO GIVE THE PATIENT DIALYSIS AT A COST OF Rs.300-350.
            This is possible if you find some dedicated staff who is willing to work
            free of cost. We should provide them with food and accommodation in the
            campus. I mean a one room hall kitchen accomodation.

            SABU ABRAHAM
            SENIOR CHARGE TECHNICIAN
            DIBBA HOSPITAL
            UNITED ARAB EMIRATES.
          • Sabu Abraham
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 13 10:15 AM
              In continuation with my suggestions and the subsequent response that a dialysis unit is coming up in Puthuppadi is indeed good news. But this will not help the people from the south. I think there is a hospital called St. Andrews hospital or so in Puthencavu near Chengannoor, which belongs to our Church and was closed a few years back. I am not sure about that. If we can arrange to have a dialysis centre for the southern region in this place, it will help the central Travencore people from Thiurvalla, Chengannoor, Pathanamthitta, Ranni, Adoor, Pandalam and nearby places. Kindly look into the fesibility of this.

              Sabu Abraham, UAE
            • george mathew
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 15 7:17 AM
                Dear Mr. Sabu Abraham,

                The St. Andrews Hospital is at Puthencavu, near Chengannur.

                At present  part of the hospital is used as a Palliative Care Unit privately run by Rev. Fr. Biju T. Mathew (from Chengannur Diocese) and Mr. Babu Alexander (Puthencavu).
                We can check the possibility of using the remaining part for the Dialysis Centre.

                George Mathew, Puthencavu
                St. Thomas Orthodox Cathedral, Dubai
              • ICON Email
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 15 7:52 PM
                • 1 Attachment
                • 61 KB
                Dear Sabu Abraham,

                I have been to St. Andrews Hospital in Puthencavu near our Puthencavu Cathedral some time back. I remember this Hospital because there is a very nice oil painting of Late Puthencavil Thirumeni at the entrance of this Hospital. It was a small, nice & tidy Hospital those days, but I don’t know its present status. It appears this Hospital is run by our Church and is listed in our official website.

                http://malankaraorthodoxchurch.in/index.php?Itemid=361&id=64&option=com_content&task=view

                The right person to contact would be Mar Athanasios Thirumeni of Chengannur (Ph:9447791896).

                Another Hospital that comes to my mind in Central Travancore is opposite our St.Ignatious Church, Kaipattoor. This too is a small hospital centrally located, probably run by our Kaipattoor Church? I think Rev. Fr. Dr. K T Mathews is the Vicar (phone 04735 245260, 9495112331). Achen might provide more details.

                Puthencavu & Kaippattoor are 23kms apart and are centrally located as can be viewed from the attached map.

                There could be other hospitals too in this area which might fit into your scheme of things. Medical Representatives working in this area would give a better lead.

                Message 8 of 9 , Apr 20 12:17 AM
                  Dear Sabu Abraham,

                  I have been to Puthencavu to attend the 62nd Dukhrono and declaration of Hon. Title of Puthencavil Kochuthirumeni on 17th April. I did mention about this project to Athanasious Thirumeni and also had a discussion with Babu Alexander who is running the Palliative Care Centre.

                  As Philip Ayyampalackal sir suggested, we can check the possibility of Kaipattoor Hospital also.

                  With prayers,
                  George Mathew, Puthencavu
                  St. Thomas Orthodox Church, Dubai
                • Sabu Abraham
                  Message 9 of 9 , Apr 22 2:15 AM
                    A lot of suggestions are coming on the feasibility of starting Charity dialysis units in different places. It is a good idea to start dialysis in different hospitals with may be 2 machines. But when we consider the salary of two staff to run 2 machines will work out expensive, since one staff can manage 4 patients and minimum 2 experienced staff is required to run 2 shifts with the help of some untrained staff. I doubt the availability of staff to work on charity.

                    Hence we should plan a unit in one of the above hospitals with 4-6 machines and have a water treatment system which can accommodate 10 machines so that we can add up more machines without any further investment.

                    I am getting suggestions about a hospital in puthencavu, then one from Eraviperoor, and one from Kaipattoor. Since these 3 hospitals are in central travencore, we should fix one suitable place with enough space so that it can be developed in to a big centre with many machines which will cater poor people for free or on a nominal charges and others who can afford should pay the full charges so that it will be balanced. When I go on vacation I will surely visit this 3 hospitals and find the availability of space. I am already preparing a basic plan on the project with some specifications and will send to ICON.

                    Sabu Abraham