What Pope Francis' Compassionate, Wise Move Means To Orthodox church..

  • George Easaw
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2013
      Every year like the Orthodox church all over the world, the Catholics too
      observe the ritual of the High Priest washing the feet of fellow priests.
      When I was young about 8 years, may be 40+ years back, a thought which
      passed through my mind then was why the High Priest was not washing my
      father's feet .. Maybe we were damned sinners then, no chance of any
      redemption ..

      This morning I happened to read that the new Argentinian Pope in the
      Vatican, who has been rewriting conventions relating to papacy right from
      the day he took over, went to a juvenile prison in Rome on Thursday and
      made tryst with history by washing and kissing the feet of 12 of them aged
      16 to 21, cutting across race, religion and sex..

      He has actually connected with the youth. This single act is sure to bring
      many catholics who had shunned the belief due to the poor and sullen public
      image because of homosexual and paedophile practicing priests, back to
      church ..

      Read my posting on this complete with video and
      snaps<http://george-easaw.blogspot.in/2013/03/pope-francis-washes-feet-of-young.html>..

      If we need to connect with the youth and the public in a bigger way, our
      High Priests too need to do something similar to connect with the present
      generation, else they feel alien in the church .. Jesus washed the feet of
      his disciples<http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+13%3A1-17&version=NIV>
      who
      were "ordinary people" then .. Why only priests feet now in our Church??

      We are changing, albeit slowly at snail's pace, but surely in the forward
      direction ..

      I was so happy to hear that it was a young lady aged 24, Sheeba Ann
      Yohannan, daughter of our priest, who gave an excellent Good Friday sermon
      at the Armenian Orthodox Church ( Malankara Orthodox service) in Malabar
      hills, Mumbai yesterday. First of its kind in the Malankara Orthodox church??

      Our High Priests too can think of connecting with the people and the youth
      through more such activities ..

      George Easaw, Bangalore
    • VINU
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 2013
        Dear Mr. George Easow,

        Indeed you brought forth a fine point on an important legacy/ceremony (Aacharam) in our Church 'The Kaal Kazhukal Susrusha'.I could not hold my tears in empathy when I saw Pope kissing the feet of a 'young drug addict'.

        We must include children, youth, handicapped, the poor/sidelined and sick if any and the old aged other than just Priests and Sextons in feet washing ceremony. It will reflectively send a beautiful message to all sections of the faithful that the clergy is indeed a shepherd to all sections of them. It was encouraging to see HH the Catholicose washing the feet of a Child in Elia Cathedral in Kottayam.

        Passion Week services are the best platforms, where all sections of faithful unfailingly flock, when the right messages can be conveyed to those who unfortunately see the Church as non-compassionate, unconcerned and unmoved.

        This Pope Francis, driven by such Christian acts who walks his Christian calling, will change the face of Catholic Church and might bring in a Nobel Prize for Peace to Catholic Church.

        Thank you Mr. George Easow for bringing this aspect up.

        Dr. Vinu Thomas, Dubai