Lenten Meditation for March 21, 2013, 6th Thu of Great Lent

  • ICON Moderators
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2013
      Bible Readings:

      Evening
      St. Matthew 7: 1 - 12

      Morning
      Exodus 15: 19 -21
      Joshua 6: 1-5
      Isaiah 51: 1-8
      Acts 16: 23- 40
      II Corinthians 6: 1-10
      St. Mark 8: 22-27
      St. Matthew 20: 17-19

      �He sought his God and worked wholeheartedly. And so he prospered.� - Acts 16:31

      Do I hear God best when I rest quietly and meditate on His Word listening to His still, small voice? Or do I find and know Him best when I am actively laboring to carry out His direction?

      All my life, I�ve been taught that the way to know God is to spend quiet time with Him. Robert D. Foster, contemporary Bible teacher, sums up the thoughts of many scholars with these words: �Call it what you want�the quiet time, personal devotions, the morning watch, or individual worship�these holy minutes at the start of each day explain the inner secret of Christianity . . . Every man who ever became somebody for God has this at the core of his priorities: time alone with God.

      In contrast to that, we find in the writings of Frank Lauback (1884-1970), missionary to the Philippines, these words: �Of all today�s miracles, the greatest is this: To know that I find Thee best when I work listening.

      So it really doesn�t matter if you are standing or sitting, still or active. The key to finding God and living according to His will is having a heart that is listening, one that is focused on Him and not distracted. That�s not an easy task in this fast-paced, always-on-the-go world! Making money, providing for your family, having leisure time are all important, but they should not become distractions.

      So it seems that the best way to know God is by setting priorities and adjusting attitudes and activities so that hearing His voice and living out His will is the primary focus of every day. It will take work, but the benefits are unbelievable!

      Prayer:

      Almighty God, by words softly spoken directly to You alone, or by actions that all may see, may I always live for Your glory by keeping my focus on You.

      Courtesy:
      '2013 Lenten Devotionals' published by MGOCSM, Philadelphia