Catholicate Day Collections Reminder

  • ICON Moderators
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15, 2013
      Dear all,

      As you all know the 36 day of the Holy Lent,the Sixth Sunday, is celebrated around the Holy Church as the Catholicate Day.

      Please note the message from His Holiness the Catholicose of the East and Malankara Metropolitan Baselios Marthoma Paulose II on the occasion of Catholicate Day:
      http://catholicatenews.in/component/k2/item/629-%E0%B4%95%E0%B4%BE%E0%B4%A4%E0%B5%8B%E0%B4%B2%E0%B4%BF%E0%B4%95%E0%B5%8D%E0%B4%95%E0%B4%BE-%E0%B4%A6%E0%B4%BF%E0%B4%A8%E0%B4%82-%E0%B4%AE%E0%B4%BE%E0%B4%B0%E0%B5%8D%E2%80%8D%E0%B4%9A%E0%B5%8D%E0%B4%9A%E0%B5%8D-17%E0%B4%A8%E0%B5%8D

      As HH mentions, we have the responsibility to pray for our Church, its freedom and for all that the Catholicate stands for.

      With regards to the fund collection during the Catholicate Day, kindly note that this is the only collection which we do in the entire year for the Catholicate, for the central HQ of the Church. Every family has the obligation to reach out with their contributions however small or big it might be, as per their own conscience and also as per the guidelines as instructed by the Holy Fathers. The funds collected are used for the support of the Church including many of its charitable activities. Hope everyone is able to heed the instruction of Bava Thirumeni and contribute for the Catholicate Day collections.

      In Christ.
      Moderators, ICON
    • ICON Moderators
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 17, 2013
        Bible Readings:
        Evening
        St. Luke 9: 18-27

        Morning
        Genesis 41: 38 - 52
        I Samuel 17: 34-51
        Acts 21: 1-14
        Romans 8: 12-27
        St. Mark 10: 32-45

        They replied, �Let one of us sit at your right and the other at your left in your glory.� �You don�t know what you are asking,� Jesus said. �Can you drink the cup I drink or be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?� �We can,� they answered. Jesus said to them, �You will drink the cup I drink and be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with, but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared.� - Mark 10: 37 - 40

        Understanding the purpose of incarnation is not easy. Even at the time of our Lord, his own disciples struggled with the purpose of incarnation. Here we read that Jesus was trying to explain to the disciples that as a consequence to His ministry He will be despised and killed. This was not digested by the disciples. They knew the Lord is the real Messiah but they were disappointed that He was giving out strange signals to the disciples. The disciples were expecting a comfortable and cozy time with the Lord. When the Master was with them they had no material needs unmet because the Lord was able to give food, health, protection and comfort in all situations. They were in a very secure zone worried about nothing. But every now and then the Lord will tell them that the world is going to despise him and even kill him. This was incomprehensible to them. How can the real Messiah suffer in the hands of his adversaries? The real Messiah should be able to overcome all his enemies. It was only after the resurrection, the ascension and then with the coming of the Holy Spirit that they were convinced about all those crude teachings.

        The disciples� lack of understanding the mission of incarnation was further clear when they came with a new agenda of positions in the cabinet of the Lord. They are still thinking in terms of the material world where positions, authority, administrative structures, power etc. are important. So they came to ask for the two top positions in the Kingdom of God. Definitely they were thinking of a material kingdom where the King allows the two top officers to sit next to him to rule over others. Because Jesus was not married, the disciples did not think about the queen who would sit next to the King or the children of the King to take those important positions. In the Kingdom of God all these are strange concepts. There is no master, there is no servant. Everyone serves each other and lives for each other. Jesus resisted their temptation but they were pushing even to the point that they agreed to take all sufferings attached to the position.

        It was their confidence that the Lord is able to ward off any problem that would come to them. They had seen it by their own eyes the amazing works of the Lord. Why should they suspect? This is the fate of the worldly man who looks for worldly authority and position. It is this kind of a people that create the biggest problems in the world. Unless we understand the concept of suffering and death in the Kingdom of God, we cannot serve the Lord anywhere. The 50 days of Lenten time will help us understand this most important concept if we truly observe the Lent.

        Prayer:

        Dear God, help me to understand your ways and teachings. Help me to realize that I am a servant, not a master and I am here to serve and live for everyone. Amen.

        Courtesy:
        '2013 Lenten Devotionals' published by MGOCSM, Philadelphia.