Re: Dr. Naomi Vettath - From Where The River Flows

  • George Abraham
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2013
      Dear Mr. Abraham Chirackal,

      Many thanks for your in-depth review of "From Where the River Flows" by Dr. Naomi Vettath.

      "It is my purpose, if God wills, to dedicate myself to the service of Christ, in and through His Church. Dated 27-2-1954. Signed, Naomi Mathew."

      This pledge has really touched me. Probably this is the pledge to be administered to each and every Sunday School Child of our Church.

      I am personally aware that Dr. Naomi Vettath followed the above oath in letter and spirit. Years back (early seventies), I attended the VBS at Kangazha MGDM Hospital Chappel where Dr. Naomi Vettath was the Chief Resource Person. My house was near to the Hospital (only 1KM). She was teaching and practicing with us wonderful hymns with the support of very modern musical instruments, which were unheard-of those days.

      We all are greatly indebted to Doctor Naomi and the selfless professional team there. She continued this for few years and there used to be a one day camp for the VBS Students on the next Thiruvonam day every year. I am sure, all of those students who attended her classes are very successful in life and currently living in various parts of the world.

      Still we all remember those golden days of that rural hospital (late sixties and early seventies) when a team of dedicated and eminent Doctors like Dr. John Vettath (Surgeon), Dr. Naomi Vettath, Dr S. Joseph (Physician) , Dr. Susy Joseph (Gynec), Dr Avis Eapen (Ophthal) etc were at service for the ordinary people of a remote village like Kangazha. The untimely passing away of the Chairman of the Trust, Mr. Manohar Varghese (an ardent devotee of Vattaseril Thirumeni) has created a vacuum there and the downfall started. Otherwise it would have been another Vellore CMC.

      Nice to hear about a great personality like Dr. Naomi again. Let God give her and her husband Dr. John Vettath the strength to continue His work.

      Love & Prayers,
      George Abraham, Abu Dhabi

      ==============================

      Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:35 pm (PST) .

      Dear All,

      Recently I read the book "From Where the River Flows" by Dr. Naomi Vettath. It is brief biographies of her mentors, namely Virgin Mary, her parents, few of her elder class mates, and a couple people who influenced her. The book gives ample glimpses of life story of Dr. Naomi herself.

      I never heard about Dr. Naomi before. I have seen a couple of messages about her book in ICON. Out of my curiosity, I requested a copy of her book and she was generous to send me the book. I am very happy that I did get the book and privileged to know a few more Godly people.

      The book is an easy read and it will take to you a couple of generations back. I was flabbergasted by the commitment of Dr. Naomi to whatever she touched whether it is teaching at medical college, working in ill equipped hospitals or spending time at church with youngsters; she did it all. Her mentors must be proud of her.

      Though all her mentors are Godly people, Dr. Shobha Linton stands out.

      As a medical student in Ludhiana, Dr. Naomi renewed her pledge as "It is my purpose, if God wills, to dedicate myself to the service of Christ, in and through His Church. Dated 27-2-1954 Signed Naomi Mathew." She kept her word. Her work was a service to Christ.

      (Shouldn't we all pledge like this: "dedicate myself to the service of Christ, in and through His Church"?)

      Dr. Naomi is originally from Kunnamkulam, studied at CMC Ludhiana and then at University of Oregon, Portland (USA), medical colleges Vellore and Trivandrum. She served in different village hospitals in Kerala and planted many seeds in blind rehabilitations and other community services. Bless her heart!

      While reading the book, I was asking myself a question: did these people along with Dr. Naomi really live along with us? And in our church?

      If you can, buy the book and read. It is inspiring and her life along with her mentors is worthy emulations.

      Dr. Naomi and her husband Dr. John Vettath now live in Kochi. Dr. Naomi can be contacted at vettathj@... <mailto:vettathj%40gmail.com>

      Thank you for reading this comment.

      ~Abraham Chirackal, Davenport, Iowa (USA)