Lenten Meditation for Feb. 16, 2013/First Sat of the Great Lent

  • ICON Moderators
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2013
      February 16, 2013
      1st Saturday of Lent

      Bible Readings:
      Evening
      St. Matthew 10: 24 � 38

      Morning
      St. John 15: 17-16: 3

      Before Holy Qurbana
      Genesis 2: 4 - 17
      Zechariah 7: 8-14
      Isaiah 1: 24-31

      Holy Qurbana
      Acts 12: 1-24
      Romans 12: 10-21
      St. John 4: 46-54

      �So have no fear of them, for nothing is covered that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known. What I tell you in the dark, say in the light, and what you hear whispered, proclaim on the housetops.� - Matthew 10: 26-27

      As Christians, we live in a world where we are faced with great temptations. We often find ourselves making choices based on worldly standards as opposed to the Word of God. In today�s scriptures, we can reflect on how God warned his Apostles about the world that they are to go to spread the Word of God. As Jesus sends out his twelve Apostles to preach the Word of God, He speaks to them about the difficulties they will face. He tells them they are sheep among wolves, and that their journey will be that of adversity.

      As Christians, we too will be faced with rejection and hatred from the world around us. However, with God�s mighty presence in our lives we will be able to overcome these challenges. It is through the difficult choices we make that we are able to demonstrate God�s grace.

      In St. Matthew 10:26, we are reminded about fear. God reminds us that we do not need to be afraid of men, who can only destroy the body. We should not be afraid, but rather be vigilant about God�s awesome power. Our Father in heaven reminds us that we are more valuable than the sparrows, and it is only His mighty power that can save both our body and soul. In the beginning of verse 32, we are reminded about eternity and how to obtain that eternity. Our life should be a reflection of our faith. Our faith should be a testimony to God. If we live a life where we deny God in front of man, Christ will deny us before the Father in heaven. In verse 38, the scriptures speak of taking up the cross of Christ and following Him. It is our responsibility as Christians to remember the suffering Christ endured and to live a life that is pleasing to God. We are to repent for our transgressions and pray to renew our faith on a daily basis.

      Even though we will be faced with difficulties, we should live a life of obedience to God and fearlessness to man. We are to stand firm in our faith and stand strong to proclaim God�s Word in a world that will reject and ridicule us. As we begin this time of Great Lent, let us begin to reflect on our Christian journey, repent of our sins, and renew our faith with God�s strength. Last but not least, let us rejoice in Christ�s resurrection.

      Prayer:
      Lord, we are not worthy of Your love, but through Your compassion You have given Your own beloved Son to die on the cross for us. We pray that this Lenten season and throughout each day of our lives, we will live to know the resurrected Christ.

      Courtesy:
      'Lenten Devotionals' published by MGOCSM Philadelphia