Lenten Meditation for Feb. 15, 2013/First Friday of the Great Lent

  • ICON Moderators
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2013
      February 15, 2013
      1st Friday of Lent Prepared by Sarah Mathew

      Bible Readings:
      Evening
      St. Matthew 5: 17 � 26

      Morning
      Ezekiel 18: 20-32
      Hosea 4: 1-11
      Deuteronomy 6 : 1- 13
      Isaiah 1: 1-9
      St. James 3: 13 - 4: 5
      Romans 3: 9-26
      St. Matthew 5: 27-37

      �Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin� - Romans 3:20

      The bible reading reflects attaining righteousness through faith. The passage begins by describing how we are all alike in sin. Jews and Gentiles are all judged the same under the eyes of God. The point St. Paul was trying to achieve was that although the Jews were under the law of commandments it did not allow them to attain righteousness. Verse 20 in Romans 2 explains how the commandments were to be used.

      �Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin�

      St. Paul goes on to explain how we can attain this righteousness that will not be given through following the commandments. We can only attain righteousness through faith in Jesus Christ. While we abstain from what we fast on we are supposed to build up our prayer life, which in turn strengthens our faith In Jesus. In comparing the passage to lent, while we are fasting we are not made righteous by following the fast; we are made righteous by strengthening our faith in Jesus Christ through fast.

      Prayer:

      Dear Heavenly Father, please prepare us during this Great Lent. Help us to obey Your commandments and sanctify us through your Son‟s blood so that we may be perfect in Your image. Amen.

      Courtesy:
      'Lenten Devotionals' published by MGOCSM Philadelphia