Lenten Meditation for Feb 13, 2013/First Wed of Great Lent

  • ICON Moderators
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2013
      February 13, 2013
      1st Wednesday of Lent
      Prepared by Lincy Philip, MGOCSM of Philadelphia

      Evening
      St. Matthew 6: 19-24
      St. Luke 16: 14-18

      Morning
      Genesis 1: 14-18
      Isaiah 13: 6-13
      St. James 2 : 1 - 13
      Romans 2: 7-24
      St. Matthew 6: 25-34

      �But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.� - St. Mathew 6:33

      Do not worry! That is the message we receive from Matthew 6:25-34. These verses are the recantations of Jesus�s Sermon on the Mount. It was through the beatitudes in that sermon that Jesus laid forth the Christian ideals that focus on love and humility. One of the several goals of a Christian believer is to subject their lives to the complete will of God. Many individuals hold on to the thoughts that we can do as we wish in our lives. Jesus clearly states, �But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.� (Matt 6:33) Throughout our lives, we are always focused on the unnecessary and materialistic aspects of our lifestyle. Such behaviors take us further away from our heavenly Father. As mere humans, we have not truly grasped the idea of what we need versus what we desire. We are tempted to rely on our earthy desires to make us feel as though our life is secure, when it is God�s job to provide us with all that we need. We are also often clouded with this sense of hopelessness in our lives. Many people feel as though they are not happy with what they have and always yearn for something more. They are not willing to have faith that God will do what is right in their lives. It is our lack of faith that brings us closer and closer to the ideology that we must be worried about our lives.

      The Great Lent is a time of repentance, a renewal of our minds, hearts, and deeds in accordance with the teachings of Christ. As such, our faith is something that must be completely transformed during Lent. During the Lenten period, we are asked to prepare ourselves for the greatest feast of our church year, Easter. We are called upon to enter into the passion and Resurrection of Jesus. The passion of Christ was the ultimate sacrifice for our humanity. Jesus tells you, �Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?� (Matt 6:26) The extent to which God subjected his son to this death is clear indication of the unconditional love he has for us and should be enough for our faith to be restored. We must reflect on the words �Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.� (Matt 6:34) God does not want our lives to be consumed with a constant fear or worry. Our lives are to be devoted to his grace and that alone. When we focus on the little things in our life, we begin to lose our ties with God. We must have all our faith and trust in God and truly believe that God is almighty. The only way our heavenly Father can work in our lives is if we allow him to be involved in it. We cannot control our lives, as many of us wish. It is God that has ultimate control and we must have confidence that he is almighty and supreme.

      Prayer: Help me Lord to not be deceived by the desires and passions that arise within me. Heavenly Father, Beloved Son � Jesus Christ, and Holy Spirit, set my heart to seek You. Amen.