Lenten Devotional for Feb. 12, 2013/First Tue of Great Lent

  • ICON Moderators
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2013
      February 12, 2013
      1st Tuesday of Lent Prepared by Renju Padiyara

      Bible Readings:
      Evening
      St. Matthew 6: 19-24
      St. Luke 16: 14-18

      Morning
      Genesis 1: 14-18
      Isaiah 13: 6-13
      St. James 2 : 1 - 13
      Romans 2: 7-24
      St. Matthew 6: 25-34

      ��The ways of the LORD are right; the righteous walk in them, but the rebellious stumble in them.�� - Hosea 14:9

      In the book of Hosea, God was seriously concerned with the spiritual condition of Israel. During the time of Hosea, Israel was a very prosperous nation, internal corruption was extreme, idol worship was present, and the temple service was becoming a matter of religious observance, rather than faithfulness to God. It was within this predicament that Hosea spoke on behalf of God, exhorting the people to change. In the latter part of Hosea��s exhortation, after Israel was sternly rebuked, God calls Israel back to Him. �DReturn, O Israel, to the LORD your God, for you have stumbled because of your iniquity�� (Hosea 14:1). God continues to show His faithfulness toward Israel, even though Israel herself was unfaithful. �DI will heal their apostasy; I will love them freely, for my anger has turned from them. I will be like the dew to Israel; he shall blossom like the lily; he shall take root like the trees of Lebanon; his shoots shall spread out; his beauty shall be like the olive, and his fragrance like Lebanon. They shall return and dwell beneath my shadow; they shall flourish like the grain; they shall blossom like the vine; their fame shall be like the wine of Lebanon.

      Similarly, God is concerned about our spiritual condition. He sees that we are prosperous in life but spiritually corrupt; our worship has become a matter of religious observance without an inward faithfulness and love toward God. We are like Israel. But God, through his Son Jesus Christ, is willing to call us back to Him. If we will return to God, through Jesus Christ, by fighting sin, then He will heal us, shower His love upon us, allow us to blossom at work and prosper in our family life, allow us to spread our influence and witness in our community, open everyone��s eyes to see the faithfulness of God in us, allow our enemies to become defeated, and finally He will bring strength and endurance to our faith. God by no means is saying that if we return to Him we will not go through trials and problems in life. Indeed, trials and problems are always present in our lives. Nevertheless, God shows us that He is faithful and willing to guide us through anything in life. (1 Corinthian 1:9) Will you, during this Lenten season, return to Jesus Christ? Return to the Lord dear brethren and you will not be disappointed.

      Prayer:
      Lord Jesus Christ, I know that You have blessed me in so many ways, but spiritually I am corrupt and in need of Your faithfulness. Help me to see my own sin and how I can grow closer to You. Lord help me to be faithful to You. Give me strength and progress in my faith. Allow me to be a good and faithful witness and influence to others in my community and elsewhere. Lord I know You are with me, that You will never leave me nor forsake me. May Your blessings be upon me. May Your Name be glorified, now and always and forever. In the Name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, I pray. Amen.

      From the Desk of ICON Moderators:

      The message given above is taken from 'Lenten Devotionals-2013' published by the Philadelphia Area MGOCSM. We express our gratitude to the officials of MGOCSM, Philadelphia for sharing this message with ICON members.