HG Mar Meletius: Republic Day at Prerana School, Nagpur

  • icon.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2013
      Republic Day at Prerana School

      by Yuhanon Meletius

      During the last two weeks I was in Kalmeswar, Nagpur with the students
      and staff of St. Thomas Orthodox Theological Seminary where I share
      my learning in the field of Old Testament every year (I also learn
      with them). There I was able to experience the Indian way of helping
      the private sector. The BSNL telephone exchange was hit by a
      lightening in 2008. It was repaired after a short while, but again in
      went bad. There were about 85 BSNL land line connections in the
      village of Kalmeswar some 30 KM far from Nagpur city. The BSNL people
      never cared again to repair the exchange. So every subscriber switched
      to private phone providers. I have this habit of (to some bad, to me a
      better) h abit of using only national products as far as possible and
      so I have only BSNL mobile phone connection and data connection. There
      I was most of the time lost in the woods as the reception was too weak
      to have any uninterrupted quality connection. But now the BSNL people
      are setting the exchange right and not many people will be ready to
      subscribe as they already have private provider connection. Gandhiji’s
      programs for self sufficiency is way back in history. The good news is
      that the seminary will have two BSNL connections shortly.

      I had the privilege of participating in the Republic day function of
      “Prerana” the school for mentally challenged children run by the
      seminary (of course it has an independent trust for administrative
      purpose). That was a touching experience. There are about 60 boys and
      girls residing and taking training. There are day scholars too. All of
      them are from the neigh boring villages. The principle of the seminary
      Rev. Fr. Dr. Bijesh Philip is the Director of the school. The students
      gave a brief display of their talents. I also hoisted the national
      flag at the seminary and then gave the Satsang address. Text of
      Satsang will be posted later.

      Watch these videos:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiAQWU-f6tc

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6K3iOlu9yY

      - HG Yuhanon Mor Meletius
      Moderators' Note: ICON actively supports Prerana School and its objective. Last year our members and well wishers sponsored 25 children from this school. Our objective for this year (2013) is to find sponsors for at least 30 children. If you wish to sponsor a child, see http://www.icon.org.in/pr/page1.php for details or contact any of the moderators. Donations are tax-exempt for US residents.